This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Update Manager removal

We are trying to install Sophos  sec_51_sfx  on Windows 2008 Server R2 but it continually errors the Sophos Update Manager is already installed. We have looked in add/remove programs and can't find anything installed.

Error - Sophos Update Manager is already installed. Please uninstall it before continuing.

During installation what check does it do to determine SUM is installed?

Seems that 5.0 was previously loaded but not sure how it was uninstalled since I inherited this server.

Thanks,

rsb3

:35685

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
    1. Check to see if either of  the registry keys exist:
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{2C7A82DB-69BC-4198-AC26-BB862F1BE4D0}
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{2C7A82DB-69BC-4198-AC26-BB862F1BE4D0}
    2. If present and no DisplayName is named value exists it will not show in Add/Remove programs or Programs & Features.
    3. Instead run the following command to uninstall it (this string will be present in the registry so you can copy and paste it out from there):
      MsiExec.exe /X {2C7A82DB-69BC-4198-AC26-BB862F1BE4D0}
    :35697

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hello rsb3,

ruckus already posted how you can (attempt to) uninstall SUM.

Personally I wouldn't trust the machine though. As you couldn't say more than the assumed install of 5.0 (the full management server I assume) about its history and didn't tell about the environment and intended use (is this an additional server, a planned replacement or even the first) this is of course a rather general remark. There's a chance that you might run into other issues given that the server isn't clean and it wasn't "yours" before. Thus if the server has not other roles I'd consider a fresh OS install but it's your decision (and as said depends on the circumstances).

Christian 

:35705
  •  I had no registry keys that matched or any with sophos listed in the registry.

I did see this in the Sophos_bootstrapper log file but again it didn't match up to anything in the registry.

11/22/2012 1:38:45 AM, INFO : Running System Property Check: Sophos Update Manager must not be installed on this computer...
    11/22/2012 1:38:45 AM, INFO : Product is installed on local system. Upgrade code: {D02E89AC-F27B-4BFA-8327-BE980F821C73}
    11/22/2012 1:38:45 AM, ERROR : System Property Check: Sophos Update Manager must not be installed on this computer - FAILED
    11/22/2012 1:38:45 AM, INFO : Running System Property Check: Sophos EM Console must not be installed on this computer...

I think at this point we will trash the box and rebuild.

Thanks for the reply and the help. 

:35723
  • HI,

Nothing under:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\UpgradeCodes

The other option is to run the installer with Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx) running.  You wll see then what setup.exe is finding regarding this code.

Regards,

Jak

:35727