Cannot login to Outlook Webmail when using Chrome browser

For several months, I have not been able to use Firefox in Sandboxie to access Outlook.Live.com for Microsoft Outlook webmail. 

Chrome in Sandboxie used to work, so I was using that.  As of a few days ago, Chrome in Sandboxie also no longer works.  The login.live.com webpage will freeze, and after about 1-2 minutes, I get the error message "SBIE2101 Object Name Not Found: , error OpenProcess (C0000022) access 001FFFFF initialized=1”.  So I’d like to ask for help solving the problem for Chrome in Sandboxie when trying to log into live.com.

It looks like Microsoft updated the outlook webmail portal, so the reason for the freezing problem may be due, in part, to Microsoft's changes. 

Chrome outside of Sandboxie does work.

I’ve tried several tactics without success:

• Whitelisted live.com in uBlock Origin (it was already whitelisted)
  • Turned uBlock Origin off.  Turned off HTTPS Everywhere.
  • Turned off all of my Chrome Flags: Anonymize Local IPs exposed by WebRTC, Extension Content Verification = Strict, Reduce Default ‘Referer” Header Granularity, Enable AppContainer Lockdown, Enable GPU AppContainer Lockdown, PDF Isolation
  • Hardware Acceleration in Chrome was already off
  • Updated Sandboxie from 5.31.1 to 5.31.2
  • Bypassed my Sophos XG firewall (used iPhone connected to Verizon Wireless as a router) to see if the problem was due to a Sophos XG firewall setting. Looked at blocked URLs in Sophos XG.  Saw no blocked URLs even remotely associated with this problem
  • Reset Sandboxie to default settings
  • Built a new Sandboxie settings from scratch to blow out old, no longer applicable, settings
  • Whitelisted *.live.com in Microsoft Defender’s GPO settings (Local Computer Policy-Computer Configuration-Administrative Templates-Windows Components-Windows Defender Antivirus-Path Exclusions). Turned off Network Protection in the GPO
  • Changed DNS from 9.9.9.9 to 208.67.222.222
  • Turned AppGuard off

1- Sandboxie and Windows version: Sandboxie 5.31.2 Beta (and 5.31.1 Beta), both 64-bit.  Windows v1903, OS Build 18362.295
2 - Affected applications version: Chrome 76.0.3809.132, 64-bit.  Firefox 68.0.2, 64-bit.  Both have HTTPS Everywhere and uBlock Origin.
3 - List any antivirus installed, and their version.  Microsoft Defender.  Blue Ridge AppGuard 4.4.6.1
4 - Steps to reproduce the issue: Open Chrome in Sandboxie.  Go to Outlook.live.com.  Click on “Sign in”
5 - Does it occur in a new sandbox with default settings?  Yes
6 - Full error message and screenshots of it if applicable. SBIE2101 Object Name Not Found: , error OpenProcess (C0000022) access 001FFFFF initialized=1

Any suggestions on how I might fix this are appreciated.  Thank  you

• Hi sublime,

I've informed the devs, as I can repro.

As another workaround, Opera 62 has allowed me to hit OWA Sandboxed. Perhaps it will help you as well.  
    Other ideas: use an email reader such as Thunderbird (I just tested as well, and seems to work). 

Regards,

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Live/Hotmail works here using Firefox sandboxed but after waiting like 6 or 7 minutes when the hotmail web is finally loaded.

• Do any technicians or code writers read the forum questions? I've had this same problem for months now. It started two Windows versions ago. I'm currently using Windows 1909, Firefox V 70.0.1 (64-bit) and Sandboxie V 5.31.6 (64-bit). I don't get an error code or message. This has become quite an annoyance. I launch a sandboxed Firefox window and proceed to the Outlook Home page, https://outlook.live.com/owa/ . The trouble starts when I click the sign-in button. The page goes white and freezes. I have to close and restart Firefox. This happens with the Vivaldi browser as well. In the meantime, the only recourse I have to login to Outlook is by using MS Edge. When will  this bug get exterminated? I would think 4-6 months is long enough to find a solution.

One more thing, Sophos was it your intent to buy Sandboxie and run it into the ground. I read on the home page that Sophos had thoughts of discontinuing this product. This was a great piece of security software before you took over. It's been a part of many users PC and laptop security for years. I purchased a lifetime license right from the start of my subscription. It had built a reputation of excellence over the years. Problems and bugs were brought forth and fixed in a timely manner. What a shame that this software is getting the cold shoulder treatment.

Thank you for listening

Regards,

Terry

"Every new day is a fresh start!"

• Barb@Sophos said:

Hi sublime,

I've informed the devs, as I can repro.

As another workaround, Opera 62 has allowed me to hit OWA Sandboxed. Perhaps it will help you as well.  
    Other ideas: use an email reader such as Thunderbird (I just tested as well, and seems to work). 

Regards,

The text in red of your answer is condescending. I use an email reader but there are times that a login to Outlook.com from a browser is necessary. Whether you need to change your settings or anything else users still need to access their Outlook account page. Since you have notified the "devs", what ever that means...development team??, what is the status of this issue? It's been ongoing for months (6 at least).

Regards,

Terry

"Every new day is a fresh start!"