This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Running Google Chrome in Sandboxie

Why do I get the following messages when I try to run Google Chrome in Sandboxie?

[locked by: Barb@Sbie at 2:02 PM (GMT -7) on 28 Jun 2019]
  • Hi hootenanny,

Please, have a look at this entry:
    https://www.sandboxie.com/CopyLimitKb

Check that Chrome is properly updated outside Sandboxie, and -if possible - clear the cache. Then test in a new Sandbox with default settings.

If the problems persist, please provide the required information so that we can assist you: (make sure to include if you're using addons)

How to report problems with Sandboxie

Thanks!

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Clearing the large Chrome download history seems to have helped.  It seems a little strange that the error messages did not happen all the time.  But for now they seem to have gone away.  Thank you.

Looking at the entry on Copy Limit, I see that "Existing files that are modified by sandboxed programs have to be copied into the sandbox first."  Does this mean that the sandboxed program only modifies the file while it is running but does not modify it permanently?

• Hi hootenanny,

Glad to hear that clearing the cache helped. 

Sandboxie will read the program from your host and make changes inside the Sandbox as needed.

So, if something changes outside sandboxie, then sbie will pick that up to make the needed modifications in the Sandbox. 

You may use restrictions for your Sandboxes in order to prevent access to certain things:
    Resource Access settings

Regards,

Barb@Sophos

• Just to be clear, the original file isn't permanently changed?  It sounds like a copy of the browsing history was trying to get loaded but was too large.  If it was able to be loaded, new sites would be added to it but once the sandbox was quit, the file disappears and the original file is untouched.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "if something changes outside sandboxie, then sbie will pick that up to make the needed modifications in the sandbox."

• Hi hootenanny,

If you had a lot of "stuff" in your browser from outside Sandboxie, something that was past the copy limit (like a big cache), once Sandboxie tries to load it (by copying it to the sandbox), it would trigger the message if going past said limit. 
    This can also be the case if your Sandbox is set to delete on close, which will trigger the process every time you re-launch programs.  

Please have a look at the Sandboxie hierarchy section for more details regarding how does it work. 

Regards,

Barb@Sophos

• I'm beginning to believe this maybe an outlook 2016 problem, not sure why

I open Google Chrome [it just updated yesterday], it automatically open my 3 website for the Service Dashboards and Sandboxie forum,

I click on a link in outlook and noting, but this I open the download link folder I have, it has URL shortcuts in it for programs I use

I could clink on an shortcut and it open and downloaded the programs I wanted every time.

I can't leave Outlook so I'll just live with this, right click copy URL and past it in Chrome.

I may try and reinstall Office 2016 and see if anything changes

• Hi BilleBarrett,

This post is not related to Outlook. .Your issue is being discussed/troubleshot in your existing thread:
    https://community.sophos.com/products/sandboxie/f/sandboxie-forum/113698/chrome-will-not-open-additional-web-pages-after-4-from-outlook-2106-links

If you have any updates, please post them there, not in separate locations, so that we can better assist you. 
    I would recommend that, to begin with,  instead of reinstalling office, you follow the steps I provided in the original post first, as they will take considerably less time/effort. 

Thanks! 

Closing this thread.  

Barb@Sophos