This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ASG 220 rev. 4 memory upgrade

I was checking into upgrading our ASG 220 rev. 4 I bought less than a year ago to the new v9 firmware.  I put our serial number into the hardware refresh page on Astaro’s site to check compatibility. 

It came back with this: 
The ASG appliance with serial number ************ is a 220 rev.4 This unit is not recommended for running Sophos UTM version 9. You'll receive a one-time discount of $300 when ordering a new 220 unit and after you have registered your existing unit by clicking the Register button.

I hope this isn’t true as we purchased this unit Oct 2011, less than a year ago and shouldn’t be needing to upgrade the hardware already.  If it is true I would basically be paying $900+ to add 1GB of ram?  Is it just me or does that sound a little nuts?  Why no supported memory upgrade?  I can easily bump this unit up to 2GB or 4GB with the proper ram but it voids the warranty and support since it is not 'supported'.

Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

Jim Koerner

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Jim, if that unit can be upgraded to 2GB, I'd be surprised if Sophos wouldn't offer a certified upgrade.  In any case, "Not Recommended" doesn't mean that it "won't" run V9.  Your reseller should be able to tell you if your setup will work OK on V9.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I would hope a official memory upgrade would be made available sometime.  Currently according to our reseller nothing from Sophos.  With 8.305 and running site-to site VPN, Web filtering, Wireless, remote access, and web application security we are at 80%-87% ram/60%-70% swap in use of 1GB.  Can't turn on mail security currently and I would guess v9 would push us over 1GB with what we are running.  We have a full guard license and can't even use everything.

Jim
  • Jim, your reseller is correct; currently there are no plans (according to my channel rep) to offer a discrete RAM upgrade for older ASG units; there is currently a promotion going that discounts newer appliances significantly if they are being purchased as an upgrade (as you have found).

It's not just the RAM that's being upgraded in most cases, but the processors are being updated as well.  However, in your case, the only difference between the Rev. 5 and Rev. 4 units is the RAM and the paint job, so I understand your issue.

You could try starting a Support Case with your reseller and see if they can work something out for you -- in years past I've had a few instances where I was able to help a customer, in certain cases.  In any event, start with your reseller, and have them deal with it; support cannot directly authorize this kind of hardware change, as far as I know.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Thanks, Bruce!

Since those are the only differences, we all should make sure our Rev. 4 customers have an opportunity to speak up and ask Sophos to offer RAM upgrades.  They can't be making any profit off the 220s if they're offering a $300 discount - in fact, I imagine that it costs them money, given the small margins in hardware.

There must be an opportunity for a win-win here for Sophos and Rev.4 owners.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I have The Same Problem what should i do?
  • Will any 120's run v9?  We bought one in Novemberish last year.

Must say I am not too happy with the new reseller agreements Sophos have put in place.
  • I have v9 running on a 220 rev4 works perfectly fine.

If you feel you need a memory upgrade it will work with up to 3gb but as soon as you open the box you void the warranty and i believe support. Not that I have done this of course :-\

I have a active standby HA setup so have upgraded my master to 3gb and then if i have a problem can fail over to my slave take the master out and call sophos ;-)
  • Please pressure your reseller to communicate your desire for a memory upgrade.

Thanks - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I have Asked my reseller and he says there is no Memory Upgrade available. Sophoes does not offer a Upgrade
  • The problem is that it really isn't a significant discount. What a $200 to $300 off a new unit? Ok, so now your client has to pay another $1,000 for an upgrade unit to the one they bought less than a year ago. And the only thing they get for that $1,000 is an extra 1GB of RAM. This is absolutely NOT worth it. A 4GB replacement RAM module for the ASG and UTM 220 is $31. I'm not sure if Sophos/Astaro has George W. Bush running the company, but that if some Fuzzy Math. Expecting customers to dish out another $1,000 for 1GB? Do yourself a favor and go to Crucial.com, match up the memory, purchase it for $31 and then install it. Yes your voiding your warranty and it anything goes wrong, Sophos won't replace your unit under warranty, but then again they want you to buy a new unit right now anyway. 

Just remember kids, upgrade your ASG/UTM 220 to V9 before installing the replacement 4GB module and everything will work great.