This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ASG 220 rev. 4 memory upgrade

I was checking into upgrading our ASG 220 rev. 4 I bought less than a year ago to the new v9 firmware.  I put our serial number into the hardware refresh page on Astaro’s site to check compatibility. 

It came back with this: 
The ASG appliance with serial number ************ is a 220 rev.4 This unit is not recommended for running Sophos UTM version 9. You'll receive a one-time discount of $300 when ordering a new 220 unit and after you have registered your existing unit by clicking the Register button.

I hope this isn’t true as we purchased this unit Oct 2011, less than a year ago and shouldn’t be needing to upgrade the hardware already.  If it is true I would basically be paying $900+ to add 1GB of ram?  Is it just me or does that sound a little nuts?  Why no supported memory upgrade?  I can easily bump this unit up to 2GB or 4GB with the proper ram but it voids the warranty and support since it is not 'supported'.

Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

Jim Koerner

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I have Asked my reseller and he says there is no Memory Upgrade available. Sophoes does not offer a Upgrade

Thats what I was told... so did it myself
  • The problem is that it really isn't a significant discount. What a $200 to $300 off a new unit? Ok, so now your client has to pay another $1,000 for an upgrade unit to the one they bought less than a year ago. And the only thing they get for that $1,000 is an extra 1GB of RAM. This is absolutely NOT worth it. A 4GB replacement RAM module for the ASG and UTM 220 is $31. I'm not sure if Sophos/Astaro has George W. Bush running the company, but that if some Fuzzy Math. Expecting customers to dish out another $1,000 for 1GB? Do yourself a favor and go to Crucial.com, match up the memory, purchase it for $31 and then install it. Yes your voiding your warranty and it anything goes wrong, Sophos won't replace your unit under warranty, but then again they want you to buy a new unit right now anyway. 

Just remember kids, upgrade your ASG/UTM 220 to V9 before installing the replacement 4GB module and everything will work great.

My 220 wont boot with 4gb ram :-\ will with 3 but not 4...

The post lights on the inside flag as an error so doesn't even get to boot.
  • How can i See how much memory could i Out into The ASG 220
  • Please pressure your reseller to communicate your desire for a memory upgrade.

Thanks - Bob

I'm sure most of them (like me) have done so... the response has been No.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Same response from my reseller as far as an upgrade not being made available and them not getting much back from Sophos on making it happen.

Lets see I just dropped $1200 on hardware along with a 3 year full guard license less than 11 months ago and now I get a $300 discount on a "newer" unit just so I can get 1GB of ram.  I just don't see the logic in this.  Makes Sophos look bad and the reseller take the heat on the front side because they just sold a end user a solution that is obsolete in less than a year into a 3 year contract.

Jim

• ... obsolete in less than a year into a 3 year contract.

Jim

I understand completely!

First comment from my customer... "planned obsolescence!"

I was really hoping that after paying hardware maintenance for three years Astaro/Sophos would subsidize the upgrade. I am sorry but it appears the "one time discount" means that there is still profit being made by Astaro/Sophos on the hardware. (I am kicking in my profit to make this less painful for the customer and may end up offering a "trade in")

I understand that the customer can still keep the old hardware as a "backup",  but that has limited value to most.

I am thinking that "50% off list" would be more "friendly". I understand that "times are touch" but I think that requires steps to bring you closer to the customer rather than distancing them.

Tom
  • So what can we do put some RAM into The ASG and Loose warranty ?
  • OK, I checked this out, and discovered that the memory upgrade program three years ago was a horror story for Astaro.  From what I learned, there's no way they should try it again.

Indeed, once I'd learned that a bit ago, I remembered that I know of another company, Triad Systems, that had a similar experience.  In their most-recent upgrade project about two years ago, they required the customers to use Triad's engineers to do the work.

I don't believe that anyone knew a year ago that Astaro would want to increase the RAM in the appliances.  Indeed, it's still possible to run V9 with the current RAM if one isn't using additional features.

I apologize if anything I've said here today has caused irritation.  I'm out of this now.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • IMO,

1. I think it's been obvious for over 1 year that 1GB was very limiting.

2. Astaro sells hardware; they should be able to support that hardware without it being a 'horror story'.

Barry
  • Hopefully I can add some Sophos internal perspective to the conversation. 

jdkoerner said: 
    I just dropped $1200 on hardware along with a 3 year full guard license less than 11 months ago and now I get a $300 discount on a "newer" unit just so I can get 1GB of ram. I just don't see the logic in this.

q2srw77 said:
     Ok, so now your client has to pay another $1,000 for an upgrade unit to the one they bought less than a year ago. And the only thing they get for that $1,000 is an extra 1GB of RAM. This is absolutely NOT worth it

Don't forget, you also get a shiny new coat of white paint [:)]. Seriously though, V9 sets a mildly aggressive cutoff for the 120 appliances, (only Rev.4 or 5 are able to install it) but every other appliance model bought new in the last 4-5 years should be supported. Also, keep in mind that upgrading to V9 is not a requirement. If you somehow have a support contract that's never been up for renewal, and you're running an appliance that cannot upgrade to V9, then you can absolutely stay on V8. It will be supported well beyond the end of your 3 year agreement. I doubt this is satisfying if you or your customer want any of the new features added in v9, or even if they just want to feel current - but the point should be considered. (If you're in this boat, be sure to have a good chat with your sales rep before getting too frustrated.)

Tegra said:
    First comment from my customer... "planned obsolescence!"

Tegra, I'm assuming your customer has a Rev.3 120. The system was sold from 2008 to 2010, and is the smallest system we offer - thus the least scalable. The obsolescense isn't artificially accelerated here, it's just a limited platform. As I said above, this is the one appliance that the cutoff was a bit more aggressive on. I'm very sympathetic to the predicament, but this is also the least expensive platform, and even the un-discounted cost to upgrade the hardware is quite affordable. For a small price, you get a serious hardware upgrade. If your customer wants the new v9 features, it's more than woth it. If they don't, then it's free to stick with v8.

For the systems that are capable of upgrading to v9, A large number of users will find that they can upgrade to v9, even enable some new features, and have no problem at all. Some will find that their performance will be insufficient in v9, unless they disable features, or upgrade the hardware. This may be due to the amount of RAM, but most likely due to the age of their hardware. The customers who will truly need upgraded hardware won't normally be Rev. 4 appliance owners. In most cases, it'll be the older, slower, single core systems that won't be able to take advantage of many of the multi-threading enhancements added in recent versions, or just aren't able to keep up with all the new features. For these customers, the price break is meant to be an encouragement to retire their old appliance, and move to a current model system, and they will get significant value for their investment. There's just not a practical way to make the upgrade much cheaper if you're running newer revision hardware.

q2srw77 (and jdkoerner), I get what you're saying about the cost of the hardware upgrade versus the cost of RAM, and you're right, if you look at the difference between a Rev.4 and a Rev.5 220. But compared to a Rev.3 or older, you're upgrading either a single core, 32 bit 1.2GHz Pentium 3 processor or a single core, 32 bit pentium 4 processor, up to a faster clock speed, modern generation, dual core, 64 bit processor - a serious bump in specs and performance. This is the intended target for the upgrade program. I know you've shared your views with me before on RAM usage in the 220 appliances, and I'm not dismissing your findings in your case - but they don't represent what the majority of users can expect. A Rev.4 220 with 1GB RAM can do the job that the sizing guides say it can, and likely will be quite happy to run v9 too.

If you don't think that 1GB will cut it you do own the hardware, and you can absolutely upgrade the RAM yourself, if you want. If the choice is to either buy a new Rev.5 system now, or upgrade the RAM in your Rev.4 yourself (and only buy a new system if the hardware dies one day), I'm pretty sure I'd just upgrade it myself too. Just be sure you really do have a shortage of RAM before doing this though.

*Keep in mind that it can take up to several days longer to purchase and receive a new unit than to get an RMA replacement, so DIY isn't automatically the best plan for Rev. 4 appliances.