In our staff spotlights, we get up close and personal with our amazing Sophos team members.
Up next is Erick Villanueva, Global Community Support Engineer.
Let's Talk Career
1. Can you tell us about your role at Sophos?
I’m a Global Community Support Engineer. We manage, moderate, and support the Sophos Community, Twitter, and Reddit platforms.
2. How did you get to the role you're in now?
I saw the job post, got interested, then applied, and was lucky to be accepted.
3. What inspired you to get into IT and security?
As a kid, I was already into computers. So, I decided to enroll in the Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering program in college.
4. What do you enjoy most about your role?
I really enjoy the feeling that I’m helping somebody just by doing my job in answering questions and providing practical solutions to their technical issues.
5. What's something you've done during your time in the organization that you're proud of?
There was an issue reported on the Sophos Community about Wireless Access Point can't be registered from Central. I was able to provide a working solution. This simple assistance had a ripple effect that helped not just one but also a few others who were experiencing the same issue. Their expression of gratitude was a little overwhelming and flattering because I was just doing my job. But this is one of the things I enjoy most in my role – helping others even with the smallest issues.
6. Describe a typical day in your Sophos life.
My typical day usually starts with reading emails. After that, I check the Community forum and other social platforms, do research, and test. I also collaborate with other engineers for some special projects.
7. What's the best advice you can give to someone who has just started their career?
Don’t hesitate to ask questions if you don’t understand.
8. What would you do (for a career) if you weren’t doing this?
Something related to traveling.
Role in the Sophos Community
9. What's a fun fact about you that you could share with the Community?
You’re helping others while learning at the same time.
- Sophos Firewall: When will SSL VPN users need to re-download the configuration
- Sophos Firewall Home
- Sophos Firewall: DHCP over IP Alias
Who are you outside of Work?
11. What are your hobbies outside of work?
I like reading books, playing video games, mountain climbing, cycling, and traveling.
12. What’s something you’re planning on doing in the next year that you’ve never done?
Travel to a new place I’ve never been to.
13. What's one thing you are good at?
Trying out new cuisines in various places.
14. If you could learn how to do anything, what would it be?
Home repair skills; they don’t teach you that in school.
15. Tell us about where you live (and your journey getting there - if applicable).
I live in Biñan City, in the province of Laguna in the Philippines.
16. What's your favorite thing about where you live?
The place is quiet and serene.
17. Tell us something that might surprise us about you.
I am an ambivert. The word itself might be a surprise.
18. Any favorite line from a movie?
I’m not much of a movie guy, but this is my favorite quote from a book:
“It’s the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary; only wise men are able to understand them.”
– Paulo Coelho from The Alchemist.
19. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
It would be flying, so I can travel anywhere.