This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Radius Authentication

Hi Guys!
i have a problem with Radius Authentication, when i configure the Authentication Server with Radius Back-end, the server test is pass but the users Authentication With NAS-Identifier PPTP isn't. my radius configuration is like a this link:  "www.sophos.com/.../115050.aspx "
the radius event viewer Reason log is "The connection request did not match any configured network policy." and the UTM Authentication log show me this reason: "the radius authentication Failed"
any Idea!
Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hadi, please show a picture of your configuration on the Windows server. 

Cheers - Bob

Sorry for any short responses.  Posted from my iPhone.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob!
    Thank you for your replies, i attached pictures of my configuration an my Radius Logs.

"Contact the Network Policy Server administrator for more information.

User:
    Security ID: TEST\u1
    Account Name: u1
    Account Domain: TEST
    Fully Qualified Account Name: Test.local/Users/u1

Client Machine:
    Security ID: NULL SID
    Account Name: -
    Fully Qualified Account Name: -
    OS-Version: -
    Called Station Identifier: -
    Calling Station Identifier: -

NAS:
    NAS IPv4 Address: -
    NAS IPv6 Address: -
    NAS Identifier: pptp
    NAS Port-Type: -
    NAS Port: -

RADIUS Client:
    Client Friendly Name: SOPHOS UTM
    Client IP Address: 192.168.0.1

Authentication Details:
    Connection Request Policy Name: Use Windows authentication for all users
    Network Policy Name: Connections to other access servers
    Authentication Provider: Windows
    Authentication Server: PDC.Test.local
    Authentication Type: PAP
    EAP Type: -
    Account Session Identifier: -
    Logging Results: Accounting information was written to the local log file.
    Reason Code: 66
    Reason: The user attempted to use an authentication method that is not enabled on the matching network policy
    ."
  • I have working pptp/RADIUS (Windows 2008R2) configuration where UTM test pass if you don't specify NAT identifier, but fails if I choose pptp. 

Just ignore it and try to connect from real client. I remember that advice from another forum thread, when I was building this configuration.
  • Hi vilic
    yes the problem was Solved, i have not any problem with real client!!
  • If you use Sophos for Radius test, you have to allow pap in the nps config ! [:)]
  • Sophos UTM 320 v9.305-4:
    Now when it comes to the RADIUS test, is it really true that they only support PAP (unencrypted authentication) as has been mentioned in this thread?

My tests fail (Authentication test failed: Radius authentication failed), but I have l2tp working without issues.
  • B&B, the UTM's test does only work with plain text.  Please ask your reseller to submit a Support request so that this issue is brought to the attention of the developers.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I'm not sure now about this PAP thing. 

I have a firewall with Radius configured as a backend to a W2012R2 NPS. I want to use it for SSL VPN. Users have to login to the User Portal for this to get the config. When logging-in to the User Portal and PAP is disabled on the NPS, the user is not logged in. "Invalid User or access denied by Policy". 

When in the same policy PAP  (unencrypted authentication !) is enable, the user is able to login. 

Am I correct that this is normal behaviour?
    Has this always been like this (or was it different with W2008? or did it work in older UTM versions without PAP) ?
  • One of the reasons to use the SSL VPN is that it integrates so well with Active Directory.  I would not use RADIUS for this application.  When RADIUS is used with Wireless, PAP is not used and the password is encrypted - MCHAPv2, I think I remember.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA