Chrome does not remember websites in sandbox

For several weeks now, Chrome is not remembering website logins. I have to login each time to websites each time after I restart the browser. Curiously, one site remembers me and one site remembers my 2FA code so I don't have to enter it (but I do have to enter my password). I have ensured that Chrome is not set to clear cookies upon exit. Before this time, LinkedIn and other sites remembered me and I did not have to login each time I restarted the browser.

This problem does not occur outside of the sandbox. Sandboxie 5.33.3. I tried to download 5.33.6, but I got this message after I completed the form: "We’re sorry. Your request requires further validation before we can proceed." I tried download in Chrome and Firefox, but I got the same message. I'm a home user.

• Clear cookies and site data when you quit Chrome is OFF
  • Allow sites to save and read cookie data is ON
  • Auto Sign-in (Automatically sign in to websites using stored credentials) is ON
  • Save passwords is OFF (I use a password manager extension)
  • Extensions: 1Password, Google docs offline (disabled), Docs, Sheets and Slides
  • Tried deleting Google profile in Chrome and set it up again, but that did not help

How can I get Chrome to remember my websites in the sandbox?

Parents
  • Try download SB 5.33.6 again. The form you must fill in to proceed must contain a fitting postal code with 'your' hometown. (i.e. Beverly Hills as '90210' postal code).  And a 'dot com' (phony) mail adress is needed to proceed. Don't worry, it won't be checked. Good Luck

Greets

• I uninstalled Sandboxie and chose the not keep the Settings INI file. I installed 5.33.3 as a fresh install. The problem is still happening. When I go to a website that normally remembers your login, close Chrome and come back to the site it asks me to login again. When I enter a 2FA code and say remember this browser, when I close Chrome and come back it asks for the code again. 

If I take Chrome out of the Sandbox and login to one of those sites, then put Chrome back in the sandbox, I stay logged in to the site. It don't think it's a Chrome settings issue because sites are remembered when I exit Chrome and come back to the site outside the Sandbox. 

• I uninstalled Sandboxie and chose the not keep the Settings INI file. I installed 5.33.3 as a fresh install. The problem is still happening. When I go to a website that normally remembers your login, close Chrome and come back to the site it asks me to login again. When I enter a 2FA code and say remember this browser, when I close Chrome and come back it asks for the code again. 

If I take Chrome out of the Sandbox and login to one of those sites, then put Chrome back in the sandbox, I stay logged in to the site. It don't think it's a Chrome settings issue because sites are remembered when I exit Chrome and come back to the site outside the Sandbox. 

Children
  • Wayne Blankenbeckler said:

I uninstalled Sandboxie and chose the not keep the Settings INI file. I installed 5.33.3 as a fresh install. The problem is still happening. When I go to a website that normally remembers your login, close Chrome and come back to the site it asks me to login again. When I enter a 2FA code and say remember this browser, when I close Chrome and come back it asks for the code again. 

Hi
    I'm just offering my $.02 since you wrote in opening post: Save passwords is OFF (I use a password manager extension) -

I'm thinking your not writing data to the password manager extension outside the sandbox.

Browser extensions usually have a path for saving data that you allow Direct Access within Sandboxie Settings. 

Do you have File Access> Direct Access for your password manager extension data repository -
    Allow direct access to some file or folder, bypassing the supervision of Sandboxie.

I don't know if your password manager needs Direct Access. 

Does you password manager extension store data locally or on their server?
    Does your password manager extension work with a password manager program?

Sorry, I probably missed some relevant details that you shared earlier. 

Regarding recognizing machine or browser.  I've had to save the cookie that's created by for example recognize this device ....outside the sandbox.  

No joy.  Maybe, post your concern/s over on Wilders Security Forum - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-acquired-by-invincea.357312/

EDIT: I just read > 1Password extension (desktop app required).  You may need to run the desktop app in the same sandbox as browser.  Or, grant Direct Access.  IDK

I'm thinking there are long time Sandboxie users over on Wilders that may be able to help.  
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with 1Password. 

EDIT 2: I'm now remembering when I run Enpass desktop app with Firefox browser extension.  My password credentials are created and saved locally in Enpass desktop app and the extension just integrates Enpass in Firefox.  I do not create and save new password credentials from Firefox.   Just me. 

• My password manager Chrome extension does not link to the desktop application (it's totally separate). The problem is not with saving passwords in the password manager--the problem is that Chrome does not appear to be saving permanent cookies so that sites remember me the next time I visit them. When I login to a site outside the sandbox and then go back to the site with Chrome in the sandbox, the browser remembers the website login, so it doesn't appear to be a Chrome settings issue. However, if I login to a site in the sandbox, close the browser, restart and go back to the site, it does not remember me--I have to login again.

• Wayne Blankenbeckler said:

My password manager Chrome extension does not link to the desktop application (it's totally separate). The problem is not with saving passwords in the password manager--the problem is that Chrome does not appear to be saving permanent cookies so that sites remember me the next time I visit them. When I login to a site outside the sandbox and then go back to the site with Chrome in the sandbox, the browser remembers the website login, so it doesn't appear to be a Chrome settings issue. However, if I login to a site in the sandbox, close the browser, restart and go back to the site, it does not remember me--I have to login again.

Does you password manager extension store data locally or on their server?

And the Chrome browser extension is 1Password?

Please provide link to the password manager Chrome extension that does not link to the desktop application (that is totally separate).

Are login credentials data stored locally. 
    Then you have to allow for writing those credentials outside the sandbox via Sandboxie control to where the extension locally stores data.  

If I want to save my browser extension settings while sandbox'd then I have to allow a hole (allow write access) outside the sandbox to where that extension stores settings. 

-

I know if I run Chrome built in password manager and then clear cookies.  I'll lose login data.  

I retain persistent login cookies that I want to keep with the help of CCleaner feature.  

Um, do you Allow direct access to Google Chrome cookies via Sandboxie Control. 

I always setup the cookies I want to keep (anything related to browser setup) outside sandbox.  

Sorry, I've not tested Allow direct access to Google Chrome cookies via Sandboxie Control. 

If you want to reach long time Sandboxie users - try Wilders Security Forums -

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-acquired-by-invincea.357312/

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forums/sandboxing-virtualization.98/

-

If you want to reach open source projects - try Wilders Security Forums -

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-technologies-sbie-open-source.428156/

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-plus-sbie-fork.427755/