This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

rpm installing failes sometimes

We have running a SEC 5.5.2, the updates are configured to be downloaded from a http url.
For Linux agents we created a rpm deployment package like described in:
community.sophos.com/.../118283

Testing the rpm on some servers the installation is sometimes not successful. The error found is:
DownloadException: DownloadException for <url> with subexception: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer

Doing some checks we discovered the following things:
There are quite a lot of files downloaded from the url needed for the installation of the Linux agent.
With tcpdump we checked and see that for every file download a new connection is setup and closed. So there are many connections opened and closed in the same second

Is there an option to configure keep alive settings, so more than 1 file can be downloaded in 1 connection? If this is not an configuration option can it build in the application or is there another way to do this?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Shweta,

Yeah, I'm sure I can check this issue from a network point of view. I think I will find one of these causes:

• there are too many close_wait connections on the Sophos console server, so there are no new connections possibly till this number is decreased
    • there is an infra component that blocks the connection, because there are too many connections open and closes in a short time which is suspicious

Both possible causes can be solved by a keep alive setting, so less connections are opened and closed in a short time

• Hi Shweta,

Today I have done a check on the Sophos console server and ran the following command:

netstat -ano | find /c "WAIT"

The number is somewhere between 60 and 100. Then I started the rpm install on a linux server, after the install the number is 998. So for the install on a Linux server there are around 900 connections opened and closed. Changing the command slightly to netstat -ano | findstr "WAIT" you see many of these rows

TCP    <ip address of Sophos console server>:80       <ip address of linux server>:<XXXX>       TIME_WAIT       0

with XXXX the portnumber the Linux server connects (in this case in the range between 16385 till 36860)

That is why I think a keep alive setting is important to reduce this number.

• Hello Jan Jansen,

don't have a Linux box at hand to test. But I'm pretty sure can tell how it works and whether HTTP updates are indeed performed as a sequence of individual open-fetch connections without keep-alive (implicit in HTTP 1.1) that causes the server to initiate the close (otherwise the TIME_WAIT would be on the client side).

Christian

• Hi Jan,

I'm afraid SAV Linux's http code doesn't attempt anything clever like keep-alive, so you'll have to fix your networking to not fail connections. Maybe stagger your deployments?

Thanks,

Douglas.