In our staff spotlights, we get up close and personal with our amazing Sophos team members.
Up next is Tejas Kashyap, Senior Product Manager.
Let's Talk Career
1. Can you tell us about your role at Sophos?
I am a Senior Product Manager in the network security group. More specifically, I handle ZTNA and SD-RED products. I get involved in the end-to-end activities for these products - right from the initial prioritization and defining the requirements to post-release activities.
2. How did you get to the role you're in now?
After my role as an engineer, I worked as a front-end developer and then moved to quality assurance of wireless products. I transitioned from a QA role to product management in my previous company, which was a startup.
In December 2018, I joined Sophos to look after the wireless portfolio.
3. What inspired you to get into IT and security?
The fact that you could build products that could make people’s day-to-day lives easier and more secure.
4. What do you enjoy most about your role?
The variety of tasks that one must do. Every day is different and can have its challenges.
5. What's something you've done during your time in the organization that you're proud of? Rolling out ZTNA v1.0 product during peak pandemic. ZTNA was conceptualized, defined, implemented, and launched completely by a team that worked remotely.
6. Describe a typical day in your Sophos life.
My typical day is composed of a lot of interactions, follow-ups, and dashboard monitoring.
While the range and severity of topics differ, I interact with teams based in different areas of the world. So, you’ll usually find me with my headphones on and multitasking.
7. What's the best advice you can give to someone who has just started their career?
First, understand who your customer is and whom you’re building the product for. Easy to get carried away here.
Next is to use your own product! Sounds simple, but you understand the product much better while bringing up your own setup.
Finally, use a collaborative approach to get products built. It’s very important to get all the stakeholders on board.
8. What would you do (for a career) if you weren't doing this?
Probably a lawyer. Arguing for a living!
Role in the Sophos Community
9. What's a fun fact about you that you could share with the Community?
I love football, and I am an ardent fan of Real Madrid FC.
10. Have you posted any Recommended Read guides on the Community?
Yup, I have. I posted information primarily on the EAP Documentation - Configuring ZTNA as a service. But I would love to contribute more by posting other interesting write-ups.
Who is Tejas outside of Work?
11. What are your hobbies outside of work?
Apart from regular hiking and running, I love collecting memorabilia of my favorite sports teams, bands, and comic characters.
12. What’s something you’re planning on doing in the next year that you’ve never done?
Make a solo trip to watch El Clasico (Real Madrid vs. Barcelona) live!
13. What's one thing you're really good at?
Problem-solving, perhaps, and mediation. I like listening to all sides of the story before jumping onto anything.
14. If you could learn how to do anything, what would it be?
I love cooking and would love to be a professional chef and run a kitchen!
15. Tell us about where you live (and your journey getting there - if applicable).
I have spent most of my life in Bangalore, India (although I would have preferred a more nomadic lifestyle.)
16. What's your favorite thing about where you live?
The weather would be a common answer for any Bangalorean! It’s a bustling city with lots of options for food and entertainment. Having family and friends close by also helps.
17. Tell us something that might surprise us about you.
I can have an espresso shot just before sleeping and manage a good night’s sleep!
18. Any favorite lines from a movie?
“The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude to the problem. Do you understand?” – Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean
19. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
Body manipulation, which we see in Dr. Reed Richards of the Fantastic 4