Our Partner Highlight is our blog series where we get up-close and personal with our Top Partners in the Sophos Community.
Up next is Dirk Kotte, Top Sophos Community Partner in 2021.
Let's Talk Career
1. Tell us about yourself and your professional background.
Hello, my name is Dirk Kotte. I'm a System Engineer in Potsdam, Germany. I have been creating networks and have been making them secure for more than 30 years. In this context I have worked with IPS, NAC, firewalling, authentication, network design, operating systems and users – as well as in many other fields.
When I started working for Systema - my current employer, we were 3 people. Back then - everyone was doing everything. That expanded my horizon significantly.
2. What inspired you to get into IT and security?
When I got started in this business there were – beside the “real” PCs (at 100 or even 1000kgs) -- also the first gaming consoles. You were able to write your own programs on them and really get deep into the grid of the technology.
That fascinated me and I was hooked…And never got away.
3. Tell us about your company and your partnership (with Sophos)?
"Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik“ was founded in the late 1980s and has therefore been a reliable digitization partner for many different companies for over 30 years. We support the public sector, as well as utility companies and operators of critical infrastructures and many more.
Sophos is an important partner for us. The comprehensive product portfolio and the interaction of the components is second to none. The support from our contacts and the pre-sales support team are great. We were already partners before Sophos took over the Astaro firewall.
4. What do you enjoy most about your job?
I enjoy working with customers, the challenges in projects, the results of my work and I like to impart knowledge. The interaction of diverse technologies for the secure use of company resources on prem and on-the-go... or in the home office is simply exciting.
5. Have you taken any Sophos Training Courses?
Yes of course. Anyone who plays with the safety of others should know what they are doing.
On the Sophos Community
6. What brings you to the community?
I was looking for help and found that I had something to offer as well.
7. What's a fun fact about you that you want to share to the community?
When I called Sophos support, I reached Jesus… and he helped me.
Who is Dirk?
8. What's the best lesson you've learned (in career or in life?)
Mostly, it is a layer 8 problem.
9. What are your hobbies outside of work?
Model airplanes and electronics.
10. Do you have a personal motto or mantra?
11. Three words to describe you.
Patient, calm, interested.