This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wireless VLAN

I have an open ticket on this issue however; I am not receiving a response. I recently transition our wireless environment to support VLANs. We a had 2 networks that were set to bridge to the AP LAN (VLAN 2). I disabled those networks on our access points and set each AP to support VLAN tagging with the AP VLAN 2. I then change the 2 bridged networks to bridge to VLAN and left the Bridge to VLAN ID field empty. Everything worked well until I introduced a new tagged VLAN network.  The access points that were assigned this additional network went on a constant reboot cycle. This can only be resolved by removing the 2 bridged to VLAN networks. The access points that had the new VLAN networks assigned cannot have the 2 bridged to VLAN networks assigned to them – it results in a reboot loop. A new access point can support the 2 bridged to VLAN networks just fine. Assigning a VLAN tagged network would send them into the reboot loop. 

Has anyone seen this before?

I tried removing one of the troubled APs and re-adding it. It does not resolve the issue, the AP will reboot loop if you add the 2 bridged to VLAN networks. I tried create 2 new networks with the setting to be bridged to VLAN and specified VLAN 2. Those do not work at all. The AP are on VLAN 2, which is the native VLAN.

UTM SG 550 9.707-5

AP100 VLAN Tagging

AP VLAN ID 2

Wireless Guest - (wlan0)

Wireless Emp - (wlan2)

Internal - bridged to VLAN

Inside – bridged to VLAN

Add a new network to an AP

IT – bridged to VLAN, VLAN 4 and the AP will reboot until you remove “Internal and Inside”

Additionally VLAN 4 is a network set up on the UTM it is on a different physical interface than VLAN 2. VLAN 4 works fine in both wired and wireless.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • UTM or XG? (Nvm, saw that too late in the listing - UTM)

Are these APs a Sophos brand or something else?

You might want to take a screenshot of your setup and paste here, most of us are visual creatures, hehe.  

I haven't heard of a reboot loop in any AP because of a number of VLANs configured.  It could be a configuration error somewhere, and if they are all doing the reboot, I wouldn't say that it would be faulty APs.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• I will get some screen shots 

UTM SG 550 9.707-5

Sophos AP100

It is strange that I can make an AP faulty by assigning a configuration. Originally I had only had one AP that did this. I chose another one; assigned the config and it too went into the loop.

• You could also try resetting your APs and allowing them to rebuild the configuration once they link up to the UTM.  There might be something going on with a firmware update or something odd.

• Thank you and I agree it seems that once an AP is set with both of these networks it cannot support the Bridge to VLAN network ever again. I tried removing and adding the AP100 back in - no dice. It has no reset button; only a console cable and I can't log into it. I think there is a module on the UTM command line to do access the AP.  Below are some images of the setup. The last 2 images are the networks you cannot have on an AP. It causes this issue.

• I am wondering if the latest UTM update (9.708-6) will fix your issue.  I was just reading the release notes on it and there are firmware updates for Wireless.

• One of the fixed items sounds promising.

• If you get the chance, please let us know if/when you update and if it solved that issue.

• I never had the chance to verify if the firmware was a fix; I created a new management VLAN (6) and moved all the APs to it. That became the permanent workaround. 

• There must be a conflict somewhere then would be my guess with the VLAN. Glad you figured it out though and thank you for sharing!

• There must be a conflict somewhere then would be my guess with the VLAN. Glad you figured it out though and thank you for sharing!

Children
No Data