I am using UTM 9.213-4 on an SG210 and have deployed the Sophos EndPoint Protection client on my devices - however, about 12 days ago, the clients stopped showing as "online" in the UTM WebAdmin control panel. If I open the live log, I can see that it appears that my UTM is failing to connect with Sophos:
i have still the same issues with utm version 9.4xxxx.
My endpoints ar getting new policys like tamper protection password changes,... but my changes in the web control will be not published to the broker server. When i set warning for gaming sites in the webfilter policy for my endpoint, the utm warns me when my endpoint is behind the utm, but when my endpoint is not behind the utm i can surf without warnings on the gaming sites.
In the endpoint log of my utm the following error appears:
2016:05:01-22:32:11 utm epsecd: |=========================================================================
UTM SCE/SCA | Endpoint SCE