This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Network Bandwidth Usage

Hey Guys,

i have a serious Problem.
Executive Mgmt wants me to create a Report of our Bandwidth Usage over the last 3 Months, and they need it NOW.
So i went into our UTM to get a Network Usage Report, and there is...nothing older then Sunday!!

How is that possible?
Of course these figures are totally wrong too!
We updatet our Nodes to the latest Firmware (9.710-1) on Sunday, which went without any Issues.
Did this Update delete our Report Data?
Can we somehow restore that Data, maybe on our HA Slave Node?
OMG, please dont tell me te Data is gone.

Have a look at my Settings:

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  •  I updated to 9.710 about 2 weeks ago.  My BW usage data still exists.  Have you tried restoring the backup image (not config file) made before update to see if the usage data is there?

It's been my practice to generate a UTM system image before applying any updates. It's too much hassle and effort to undo faults caused by an update.  Restoring a config file doesn't restore logs or usage data. If an update proves troublesome, I roll back by restoring the image.  Takes all of about 15 minutes to do either.

• Hey Jay, thanks for the suggestion. How can i generate a system image file on our SG210 appliance? While i appreciate your best practice there is no word in official manuals to create an emergency image before patching, or is there? i mean this is an enterprise grade product and it shouldn‘t be necessary right.

• Not sure why this topic is not mentioned in the documentation. I'm just a home user, but imagine this practice applies at any level. One should be able to recover to a working state in case of failure - software, hardware, etc.  Quickly glancing over the admin guide I don't see any other backup/restore options. The config file restore will of course get you running, but you lose lots of log & usage data. I can't imagine the config file restore is the only approved solution, even if not published.

My utm instance runs as a vm on a proxmox server. The hypervisor software has it's own imaging tool built in so none of the below is necessary.

If I were running this on bare metal I'd use something like acronis backup/restore, or even clonezilla  (clonezilla DOT org). UTM's hard disk is partitioned as a bunch of ext4 file system partitions. Either of the above two software should be able to generate a full disk image. The high level process goes something like this

1) boot backup software from usb
    2) select disk to image
    3) perform backup/restore to external hd or network share

Lets hope one of the mods or support folk has other options for getting you the requested data.

I should add, any backup system is useless if it can't be successfully restored. Once a backup is generated, it would be wise to test it with another system. In the case of utm and differing hardware it may not be a fully functional restore and you will have to reassign interfaces through shell. That should get you as far as logging into the webadmin to make sure your rules/definitions/log/usage data still exists.

• Hi,

are you using a HA configuration and now using the other node? The UTM only shows the statistics from the active node. When you switch the passive node to active, usually you will see the old statistics.

• Thanks for the Hint. Yes the Node changed. I‘m going to change it back after work hours.

• Hallo Daniel,

Did switching back to the other node work for you?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello Bob,

yes that worked. thanks