This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Problems with mailserver

Hi all, at the moment I have some problems with an exchange mail server that I am trying to solve, in the meantime to avoid losing messages since I use utm as an smtp proxy if I remove the mailserver from the Host List in the SMTP configuration, Will the UTM continue to receive incoming messages and keep them there until I add the mail server again?

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Yes , mails will be spooled on the UTM until the receiving host comes online again.

Mit freundlichem Gruß, best regards from Germany,

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Ciao,

I haven't tried that, but I would think it would keep the messages for "awhile" if it perceives that the server is offline. Note that Philipp said, "comes online again."  I also think that you can't remove the server from the configuration in the SMTP Proxy.  Rather, you would need to blackhole the traffic to it from the Proxy, possibly by temporarily modifying the IP in the Host definition to something in 240.0.0.0/4.  That assumes you're not using 'Verify recipients:   With callout'.

Please report your results.

Cheers - Bob
    PS you didn't mention what problems you're having.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Bob, you are absolutely right: I haven't thought about the "Verify recipient" thing. This must turned off during the queing period for the maintenance.

Mit freundlichem Gruß, best regards from Germany,

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Result.

I couldn't remove the mailserver from the "Host List" so I put a "fake" mailserver.
    All incoming messages were queued and displayed in the "SMTP Spool" tab of the "Mail Manager" instead of the usual "SMTP Log", once the mailserver was fixed I restored the configuration in the "Host List" and the messages were delivered.
    I also disabled the 'Verify recipients: With callout' entry. although I confess that the reason was not clear to me.

Thanks to both of you for the support!

• If you'd left the Verify enabled, I fear that all messages would have been rejected.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA