This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Issue with multi core CPU on new install

Hello,

I'm trying to install UTM 9 home edition on a new Zimaboard 832 singleboard server

It's based on Intel Celeron Processor 'Apollo Lake'
N3450 / 4 Cores
1.1GHz base frequency
2.2GHz Burst
2MB L2 cache

It has Dual Realtek NIC 

2x GbE LAN Ports
Realtek 8111H

What works:

- installing with "default nosmp" mode 
- disabling 3 cores in BIOS and installing normally

But then, I have only 1 core used

What doesn't work:
- installing with 4 cores enabled

- enabling 3 cores after installing with only 1 core enabled.

My question is:

is there a way to get UTM 9 to install/run on the 4 cores ?

I'd really like to keep using UTM since I've had it running since UTM 5 (I think), and I don't want to configure an entire new PFsense platform -_- 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Well, the Realtek NICs are certainly not ideal and the drivers for them in UTM are crap. 

I'll see what I can find on the CPU you have, but you shouldn't have an issue with all cores enabled and you will need them for Snort, as its single-threaded still /boggle.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• I'm actually looking at the product and it looks similar to something like a Raspberry Pi type device, which from my experiences doesn't play well at all with UTM.  You may want to see if you can get XG loaded on it, as I would be curious about it.  However, you won't be able to migrate your configuration from UTM to XG unless you have reseller/support options available to you.  Us heathens don't get access to primitive tools.  Stuck out tongue

It may not be your CPU at all - it might be the device itself.

• Yes it is a single board server,, but Intel based, not ARM.

UTM9 installs fine on a SATA SSD (doesn't see the e-mmc obviously) with only 1 core enabled.

The issue happens when more than 1 core is enabled.

The CPU is detected and identified just fine.

With 1 core enabled it starts and I can access/manage/restore the backup perfectly.

• And my current setup has 2 of these.

They work just fine

Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • Are you able to try another CPU or is it built into the board?  Maybe it's a CPU issue?

As far as Realtek goes with NICs, it's been widely known to steer clear of them.  You can see a lot of posts about them just by searching the forum of 'Realtek' at the top.  If it's working for you, great! Few and far between.  Personally, I won't ever touch them and they have been the epitome of issues in my past UTM builds.

#Intel4Life

• CPU is integrated.

CPU works fine with Debian installed on the e-mmc.

Wink

• Well, then I wonder if it is a Linux kernel that isn't identifying this properly for that hardware.  I'm not sure if XG is different in that category, but have you tried to load XG on it yet?

• Not XG, but opnsense sees 4 cores too (and the emmc)

• David, have you considered trying to virtualize it, ie esxi or proxmox perhaps? There will be some loss of performance. Assuming the hypervisor sees all the cores, that's still better than just the single core.

Looking at the product page, looks like a unique piece of hardware. 

As utm is suse based, maybe take a look there?  I found this, it pertains to amd, but may help?

forums.opensuse.org/.../454540-Multi-Core-CPU-AMD-system-Only-1-gets-used