This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Another "which CPU for home" query

I've been running UTM on a fanless J1900-based minipc for just over 5 years.   However, the box has recently died; time for a replacement.

I've read various posts spanning a number of years & the recurring suggestion seems to be higher clockspeed is better.

Just to update for more-moderb times, but looking at budget options, is there potentially much difference between (for example):

• Celeron J1900 (Quad core 2M Cache, 2.0  GHz, up to 2.42GHz)
  • Celeron N2920 (Quad core 2M Cache, 1.86 GHz, up To 2.0GHz)
  • Celeron J4125 (Quad core 4M Cache, 2.00 GHz, up to 2.70 GHz)
  • Celeron 3215U (Dual core 2M Cache, 1.70 GHz)
  • Core i3-4005U (Dual core 3M Cache, 1.70 GHz)
  • Pentium 4405U (Dual core 2M Cache, 2.10 ghz)

The dead J1900 had 8GB DRAM, although as home version is limited to 6GB usable,  would 4GB potentially be viable?

Historical PRTG graphing indicates:

• Was generally operating with approx. 600-800MB of memory free
  • Running between 10-15% CPU usage.

Although, maybe it was just putting the available RAM to use because it could? If scrimping on DRAM would hamper it from the start, then not a good saving!

Currently on a 38Mbps internet connection (no immediate plans to increase, but it could happen);  was running firewall/NAT/IPS/URL filter/WIFI/shaping/most services apart from VPN.    I'm sure I'd tried the multi-core SNORT command, and could see approx 25Mbps peak.   Also have a AP50,  although I guess support for that will be dropped at some point.

Sure, I can compare passmark etc,  but any thoughts/suggestions/gotchas on the above CPU/RAM or alternatives?
I'm wavering between J4125 & 4405U, but I'm really not sure.

As mentioned, the J1900 was fine whilst it was alive.

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi and welcome to the UTM Community!

Depends on the number of active users.  If you have more than two active users, you will find that a slower quad-core will outperform a faster dual-core.  SNORT is single-threaded in UTM and is indeed the limiting issue.

Cheers - Bob
    PS If you've driven that car at Monaco, we're all jealous!

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Also keep in mind that if you choose to change to XG, you have hardware limitations as well that UTM doesn't have. 

6 GB memory, 4 cores CPU. UTM just has the 50 IP limitation.

I sure wish Snort wasn't single-threaded, it would be so much better than what it is now.  Weary

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Great, thanks for the comments.

Have lined up a replacement (J4125).  The numbers suggest it should have a bit more oomph than the J1900.

Has similar-looking Intel NICs, so hopefully will just work with the previous SSD. Otherwise, fresh install & hopefully last backup will be usable, even with some minor tweaks.

Due to a price-reduction, opted for the additional DRAM to max it out so I won't have to think about that again.

I have driven similar cars around the streets,  but only from my desk. It's a lot safer for all participants that way!

Cheers.

• The backups aren't hardware dependent, but I really doubt popping in the old drive and taking off again without flaw would work.  Stuck out tongue

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• ROFL!

Agreed with Amodin that you'll likely have to re-image the SSD as the installation process only loads drivers for the devices it sees.

You might want to check your choices against the last few pages of *Unofficial* Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks for the responses.

Admittedly I was expecting to reinstall, but was hoping for an easy evening. It turned out ok...

Popped the SSD in the replacement J4125 mini-PC & it booted! Although had disabled all the NICs.

Was able to login via console & after poking around in the forum a bit, commented out all the entries in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules  & rebooted.

The 2x bonded interfaces then came up.  Was able to gain access to the webportal,  edit the interface for management & enable that.

Done. 

All seems ok so far; AP is back.

Thanks again!

• Does the XG use the same version of Snort as the UTM or does it have multi threaded support?