This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

WAF issues after updating to 9.709-3

Hi,

anyone else noticed that after updating to 9.709-3 Exchange Web Services is not working anymore? We get HTTP Error 500 when connecting to EWS published trhrough WAF. Also, the virtual server changes to orange when this error occurs. Accessing EWS through the browser shows the service page after authentication, but when interacting with EWS by using the Exchange Remote Connectivity Analyzer or EWS Editor generates the HTTP 500 error and the WAF rule turns orange.

When directly connecting to EWS and bypassing UTM works fine and we can interact with EWS.

Before the update everything worked fine.

Franc.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks!

Are there any (negative) side effects after changing this option in Apache?

• I just wanted to chime in that I've added this along with a fix for slash encoding (described here: https://community.sophos.com/utm-firewall/f/general-discussion/92242/utm-9-reverse-proxy-configuration/436406#pi2353filter=answers&pi2353scroll=false)

Ultimately this is (part) of my current reverseproxy script with all the custom modifications:

log() {
        ${APACHE2CTL_LOG}
    }

apache_allowslashes() {
     grep -q 'PATH "/AllowEncodedSlashes/"' ${CHROOT}/usr/apache/conf/reverseproxy.conf
     MYRESULT=$?

if [ ${MYRESULT} -eq 0 ]; then
     echo "AllowEncodedSlashes found - fixing" | log
     sed -i 's|WAFExceptions PATH "/AllowEncodedSlashes/" SkipAntiVirus|AllowEncodedSlashes On|g' ${CHROOT}/usr/apache/conf/reverseproxy.conf
     else
     echo "AllowEncodedSlashes not found - skipping" | log
     fi
    }

apache_disable100continue() {
        grep -q 'PATH "/Disable100Continue/"' ${CHROOT}/usr/apache/conf/reverseproxy.conf
        MYRESULT=$?

echo "Disable100Continue found - fixing" | log
          sed -i 's|WAFExceptions PATH "/Disable100Continue/" SkipAntiVirus|Proxy100Continue Off|g' ${CHROOT}/usr/apache/conf/reverseproxy.conf
        else
          echo "Disable100Continue not found - skipping" | log
        fi
    }

apache_nocanon() {
     grep -q '/ProxyPassNocanon/' ${CHROOT}/usr/apache/conf/reverseproxy.conf
     MYRESULT=$?

echo "ProxyPassNocanon found - fixing" | log
     sed -i 's|/ProxyPassNocanon/" lbmethod|/" nocanon lbmethod|g' ${CHROOT}/usr/apache/conf/reverseproxy.conf
     sed -i 's|/ProxyPassNocanon/|/|g' ${CHROOT}/usr/apache/conf/reverseproxy.conf
     else
     echo "ProxyPassNocanon not found - skipping" | log
     fi
    }

This permits changes to the Apache config on a per-webserver-basis and lets me use encoded slashes and disable the "100 continue" (whatever it actually is) for our on-prem DevOps server.

Any chance you could permit some other settings for selected web servers in an official capacity (so custom scripts don't have to be used)? Like the "AllowEncodedSlashes On" setting showcased above?

• This option is only recommended for use with Exchange. It may cause performance issues if WAF is also used to protect other sites, especially if they are used to download/upload large files.

Karlos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.
  • You may submit a request for this via ideas.sophos.com

Karlos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.