This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FAQ / HOWTO: using a Wireless Router with the UTM

This is mainly for home users, as I don't recommend using consumer-grade wireless equipment for more than a few users; the Sophos APs are great for larger networks.

If you have a wireless router you want to convert to use as an Access Point with Astaro:

1. decide if you want the wireless network to be part of your LAN, or a new network/DMZ.
If a new network, setup a new interface (or use a VLAN) on the UTM.
Setup the UTM's DHCP & DNS server for the network, and configure Masquerading, firewall rules, desired proxies, etc.

2. tape over the WAN port on the router to avoid creating a double-NAT and other problems

3. change the management IP on the router to an IP on the same network as the LAN or DMZ interface on the firewall.
e.g. if the firewall is 192.168.1.1, set the router to 192.168.1.2

4. disable DHCP on the router

5. plug one of the router's LAN ports into the firewall.

That's it!

Notes: If the router is on a new LAN or DMZ, you won't be able to access it's management interface from another LAN unless you create an SNAT:
Source: LAN (Network) , Service:HTTP or HTTPS, Dest: Router's management IP, Source translation: DMZ (ADDRESS)
If you don't understand this, just remember to connect to the router on wifi or one of the router's LAN ports if you want to manage it.

Advanced topics:
a. Some consumer routers support VLANs and multiple SSIDs natively, or with DDWRT. See https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/51/t/21666 for some configuration options.

b. The UTM has a 'HotSpot' mode, in the Wireless Security settings; this can be used with any LAN or DMZ; it doesn't have to be a Sophos AP.

If you have corrections or additions to this information, please post here.
If you have general wireless questions, please start a new thread.

Barry

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I just created a nice home network with a Sophos UTM and a pair of Apple Airport Extreme access points. The unique feature on the Airports is the Guest wireless network is isolated on VLAN 1003. With the Sophos UTM running on VMware ESXi 5.5 I was able to configure a 4th interface specifically for the Guest network on VLAN 1003 and terminate it to a captive portal feature on the UTM... It's pretty awesome when friends or family come over, I don't have to hand out my internal wifi password. I can give them a password of the day or even hand out unique vouchers for wifi.

I wrote up a blog entry on how I did it.

Sophos Home Firewall with Captive Portal Guest Network using Airport Extreme APs | Binaryspiral
  • I just created a nice home network with a Sophos UTM and a pair of Apple Airport Extreme access points. The unique feature on the Airports is the Guest wireless network is isolated on VLAN 1003. With the Sophos UTM running on VMware ESXi 5.5 I was able to configure a 4th interface specifically for the Guest network on VLAN 1003 and terminate it to a captive portal feature on the UTM... It's pretty awesome when friends or family come over, I don't have to hand out my internal wifi password. I can give them a password of the day or even hand out unique vouchers for wifi.

I wrote up a blog entry on how I did it.

Sophos Home Firewall with Captive Portal Guest Network using Airport Extreme APs | Binaryspiral
Children
No Data