This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wireless guest network with non-astaro AP

Hi, 

I have the need for an wireless guest network and struggling to find out how to do this. I have tried to search and read alot on these forums. Seems like it is possible but not sure how to actually configure it. 

I have an Linksys WRT54G router that i wanna use. How can i make this one to connect to the astaro or how can i get traffic trhough it ?

Kinda frustrating not to figure this one out. I think it might be kinda simple solution [:)]

Looking forward to some response [:D]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • If you want it segregated from your internal network, configure an extra interface on the ASG/UTM on a different subnet, configure your Access Point to work on that subnet, and control access via firewall / web filtering profile / NAT rules for that subnet.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• On the Linksys, tape over the WAN port and disable DHCP (so you can have the UTM do DHCP).  Plug the Ethernet cable from the Astaro into one of the LAN ports.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Once you have the interface installed and configured as mentioned by Bruce and your wireless Router configured as mentioned by Bob, using the wireless LAN port not the WAN port, go into Wireless 'Protection/Global' and Enable the HotSpot.  Then go to 'Protection/HotSpots' and add a HotSpot on the interface you added.  Since this interface is used only for the HotSpot it won't interfere with WebAdmin.  Configure your vouchers and away you go.  Well, you should be pretty well up.

I have it working on my network and it works very well [:)]

Paul
  • Once you have the interface installed and configured as mentioned by Bruce and your wireless Router configured as mentioned by Bob, using the wireless LAN port not the WAN port, go into Wireless 'Protection/Global' and Enable the HotSpot.  Then go to 'Protection/HotSpots' and add a HotSpot on the interface you added.  Since this interface is used only for the HotSpot it won't interfere with WebAdmin.  Configure your vouchers and away you go.  Well, you should be pretty well up.

Hi,
    I was under the impression that the hotspot features required an Astaro AP (AP10, AP30, or AP50)... 

Will it work with any AP as long as the AP is on a dedicated interface?

I do currently have a printer hooked to my AP though, with a DHCP reservation, would that break?

Thanks,
    Barry
  • Hi Barry,

you can put a hotspot on any interface you want (you have to take care that you don't break the webadmin connection...). I don't have a UTM9 at hand but I think if you create e.g. a '1000day-voucher' and use a laptop with the mac address of your printer to activate the voucher .... maybe that will work (this is just an idea - not tested...)

Regards
    Manfred
  • Barry, it should work with any AP. Setup a DHCP server for the guest network and you should be good to go.

I'd agree with Hallowach that a long running voucher would probably be best.   I think you can set a really large number of days for a value... in the 10's of thousands.

Paul
  • Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Non-astaro AP will work fine also even if w/out enabling the wireless security. Just follow Bruce and Balfson and your wireless will work fine.
  • Correct, but wireless security allows you to setup a hotspot like a cafe/hotel would.  I use it for my kids friends.  I don't have to give out my internal network password and they are kept separate from our internal network.  Everyone is happy.... well I am and that's what counts! [;)]
  • Sorry for the revival, but I wanted to share my solution.  I use one DD-WRT router to accomplish Wireless access for both my internally bridged traffic and my guest WLAN traffic.  DD-WRT affords the activation of multiple SSIDs with different security sets for each on the same radio.  So, what I do is broadcast my internal SSID and protect it with WPA2.  This base SSID is automatically bridged to VLAN 1 with its interface of wlan0.  I then connect one physical port on the DD-WRT router to my internal switch which connects to my Internal interface of Sophos.  This gives the Wireless devices I trust access to my internal LAN, WebAdmin, DC/DNS, etc.  I have a second SSID that I leave completely open.  In DD-WRT, this creates the wlan0.1 interface, which can be bridged to a separate dot1q VLAN (1-15 Available).  So I say assign it to VLAN2, then assign another physical switch port on DD-WRT to VLAN2.  I then connect that new VLAN2 untagged interface to a separate physical interface on the Sophos and activate the Hotspot feature.  So anyone joining my open network takes a completely different path and has no access to my internal zone.

inzane,

Based on your model number of router, I'm going to go out on a really strong and sturdy limb and say it supports DD-WRT.  The WRT54G line was the first hardware model to get DD-WRT (hence the WRT tag) and as such it is quite stable.

Chris