This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Astaro eating my bandwidth

Hi

I am sitting in South Africa where bandwidth is expensive, slow and limited.
I get 5GB a month, if that is finished I'm capped and have to buy more bandwidth.

In the last 30 days, Astaro blew 7.1GB of my precious bandwidth...
5.1GB went to ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com
2GB went to several mailshell.net servers.

Note: This is not traffic from my internal network, this is my Astaro box alone, wasting my bandwidth.

How do I stop mailshell and what is being done about the amazon thing (I know some other people is also experiencing this)

Thank is advance

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Alvin and the rest of you, thank you for adding your say.

AngeloC, have you read the thread? With the v8.001 update, you are removing the only way I can block the unacceptable bandwidth usage a bug in v8 is causing...

Are you aware of this issue? Are you doing something about this?
    I'm going to have to stop ASG within the next few hours, because I cannot afford to loose more bandwidth.

AngeloC, look closely, Alvin lost the same amount of bandwidth I did, that should sound alarm bells...
  • Same traffic here, didn't notice that until now since reporting is not too interesting on a home firewall [;)]
  • Yup, I noticed it too - I didn't pay it much heed since the amount of data is a drop in the bucket for me (I assumed it was just another bittorrent peer) but I can sympathise with those that pay by the byte.

Hopefully this will turn out to be as simple as Astaro having forgotten to turn off some extra tracing or diagnostic payload in the V8 Up2Dates when it went from beta to GA.

Oh, and apropos of my (incorrect) assumption that this host was a BT peer, is there any way to obtain breakdown of traffic per server?  It's nice to be able to see what protocols are sucking your bandwidth, or where it's going, but it would also be nice to see what's going where.
  • I assume Astaro has to pay Amazon Web Services for all this traffic, too.
    So they could be interested in stopping this as soon as possible [:)]

Personally, I also don't have a problem since I use a real flatrate (but I know such is not available/affordable in every country)...
  • With the v8.001 update, you are removing the only way I can block the unacceptable bandwidth usage a bug in v8 is causing...

Are you aware of this issue? Are you doing something about this?
    I'm going to have to stop ASG within the next few hours, because I cannot afford to loose more bandwidth.

I think Angelo was just pointing out to stay away from 8.001 as FYI.

If you noticed my earlier post, I had said that country blocking would be pointless with v8.001. For most of us this is not an issue since we have no bandwidth limits at home or work but would like to cut down on unnecessary traffic if possible. Don't know what exactly is downloaded as that up2date, surely no av update is that big every day.

Edit: A couple of observations

1. At this point we are getting into the territory of saving the admin from himself. I know the country block blocking essential updates came up during beta where if you for example block germany, you blocked most of the feeds etc on astaro. As a UTM astaro would like their software to be as easy to operate as possible but as alvin pointed out most of us like to know exactly what is going where and everything should have admin input including up2dates no matter which country they originate from. Granted we never knew before where the updates were coming from, we just enabled them and forgot about them.

2. Cloud computing although the future is not ready for prime time atleast for some users that are on limited bandwidth[;)]
  • I also have 2.9 GB that came from ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com in the last 30 days
  • just a shot in the dark here - did you try to increase the 'Pattern download/installation interval' from 15 Minutes to something like daily?
  • i don't want to reach the high score, but to show the problem for people, who have to pay for volume. (51 Gigs in 30 days)
  • WK,

Your 51GB really made me went back to have to look again at mine, is it 51GB or 5[SIZE="7"].[/SIZE]1GB (Yes this is what I have).

So Same Product, Installed Around the same time since V8 Release, give it is  +/- 1 week difference, theoretically we should all be seeing similiar amount of updates right?   5.1GB for me to 51GB for WK......wow !

Is our machine used for other purposes that we do not know?