This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Astaro eating my bandwidth

Hi

I am sitting in South Africa where bandwidth is expensive, slow and limited.
I get 5GB a month, if that is finished I'm capped and have to buy more bandwidth.

In the last 30 days, Astaro blew 7.1GB of my precious bandwidth...
5.1GB went to ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com
2GB went to several mailshell.net servers.

Note: This is not traffic from my internal network, this is my Astaro box alone, wasting my bandwidth.

How do I stop mailshell and what is being done about the amazon thing (I know some other people is also experiencing this)

Thank is advance

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

1) I also noticed this server on my ASG V8 since installation.
    2) During that time, I could not confirm what it was as I was playing with "Cloud Antivirus" such as Panda Cloud Antivirus and Immunet.
    Thus I assume that is the traffic to and from the "cloud"
    3) Recently I removed all the cloud Antivirus and I still do see such huge traffic.
    4) I recall another post (yet to find it ) about someone discussing traffic to these amazonaws servers.
    5) Someone mentioned it seems Avira uses Amazonaws.
    6) While I can understand ASG needs to Download from Avira which may store it on the amazonaws. The Amount of Traffic does not make sense. 
    7) Do you think maybe the new Avira (or maybe ClamAV) is using some kind of "peer to peer " / Cloud Technology thus there is so much activities?

I would be Blocking the specific server to see what happens.

175.41.169.159 5.3 GB ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com

TOP 2 Rule
    ANY (Source and Service) -> ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com = DROP
    ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com -> ANY (Destination and Service) = DROP.

If my above Rule is not done correctly or there is a better technique, do advice me.

Lets see what breaks to confirm what is this all about.
  • Hi,

1) I also noticed this server on my ASG V8 since installation.
    2) During that time, I could not confirm what it was as I was playing with "Cloud Antivirus" such as Panda Cloud Antivirus and Immunet.
    Thus I assume that is the traffic to and from the "cloud"
    3) Recently I removed all the cloud Antivirus and I still do see such huge traffic.
    4) I recall another post (yet to find it ) about someone discussing traffic to these amazonaws servers.
    5) Someone mentioned it seems Avira uses Amazonaws.
    6) While I can understand ASG needs to Download from Avira which may store it on the amazonaws. The Amount of Traffic does not make sense. 
    7) Do you think maybe the new Avira (or maybe ClamAV) is using some kind of "peer to peer " / Cloud Technology thus there is so much activities?

I would be Blocking the specific server to see what happens.

175.41.169.159 5.3 GB ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com

TOP 2 Rule
    ANY (Source and Service) -> ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com = DROP
    ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com -> ANY (Destination and Service) = DROP.

If my above Rule is not done correctly or there is a better technique, do advice me.

Lets see what breaks to confirm what is this all about.
Children
  • I too seem to have a problem with excessive downloads. Approx 1 GB a day but no traffic shown to the network PC IPs just do the external IP from what I have now identified as a number of Google IPs. The ISP "Telstra" has monitored the line and have said it is not their problem that something at the our site is downloading from these Google IPs. Nothing is shown as going/coming from the the 4 x PCs on the network. At present I have blocked 2 subnets that point to Google but I need to get to the bottom of why it is happening. It is like the AsG110 is creating this traffic somehow????
    Any ideas