This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Astaro eating my bandwidth

Hi

I am sitting in South Africa where bandwidth is expensive, slow and limited.
I get 5GB a month, if that is finished I'm capped and have to buy more bandwidth.

In the last 30 days, Astaro blew 7.1GB of my precious bandwidth...
5.1GB went to ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com
2GB went to several mailshell.net servers.

Note: This is not traffic from my internal network, this is my Astaro box alone, wasting my bandwidth.

How do I stop mailshell and what is being done about the amazon thing (I know some other people is also experiencing this)

Thank is advance

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hallo,

this is the thread you remember:
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/27538
    I have this issue since I installed V8.000 and many others seem to confirm that there is a problem.

I didn't find a way to block this traffic. I'm convinced that there is a bug related to pattern updates or something. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

Greeting 
    Stephan
  • The AWS box - 175.41.169.159 - uses an SSL certificate signed by Astaro, so I would guess it's probably the Up2Date server.  If you had mail security enabled then I would expect to see regular traffic there because the two antivirus engines each receive several updates per day.  That, coupled with the activity to Mailshell, suggests that perhaps some of the background processes for mail security are still running.  You might want to double-check your settings, and perhaps even reboot the ASG to ensure only the required process are running.
  • Strange stuff.  I have not experienced this yet.  

Can someone who has use Ethereal to sniff what is going across the line?

Break the packets open and maybe see what is being transferred?
  • - Thank You emaart and TPok for the prompt response.
    - While I can understand and accept it may be a bug.
    - I am *very* disturbed that there is nothing We can do to Block certain traffic regardless of what it is for as long as we decided it is necessary.
    IE: Assuming it is really for Up2Date or anything functions to Astaro, I am a believer that we should have full control of what goes in and out.
  • I was able to block this traffic with a country block (singapore).  I saw no ill effects during the 24 hours that I had it blocked.  My Packet Filter log showed a blocked outgoing attempt by my ASG trying to reach this Amazonaws address every 4 hours.  I reviewed all my logs from that time frame and noticed the following entry in my System log which coincides with the blocked attempt every 4 hours.
    2010:07:12-06:36:01 astarohome /usr/sbin/cron[9300]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/bin/netselector.plx --infile /etc/up2date/authservers.ini --outfile /etc/up2date/servers.sorted)

Hope this helps

Rick
  • wow good catch. Mine downloaded around 205MB yesterday. Thats about 6GB a month. Will have to investigate what is causing this. 

I am going to block singapore and see what happens. I am on v8.001 and it will bypass country block for astaro core services but worth a shot[:(]

EDIT: I guess country blocking is pointless....
    I was able to block this traffic with a country block (singapore). 
    2010:07:12-06:36:01 astarohome /usr/sbin/cron[9300]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/bin/netselector.plx --infile /etc/up2date/authservers.ini --outfile /etc/up2date/servers.sorted)

You are right, the file /etc/up2date/authservers.ini has the location of astaro v8 up2date servers
    [v8up2date1]

Host = v8up2date1.astaro.com
    Ip   = 175.41.169.159
    Port = 443

[v8up2date2]
    Host = v8up2date2.astaro.com
    Ip   = 175.41.169.159
    Port = 443
  • I am in Singapore, if I Block Singapore, I block a lot of local sites [:)]

In any case, I still believe we should have Full Control, I also hoped Astaro can make those "build in rules" to allow certain traffic such as Up2Date or what so ever appear, this way, one look we can understand better.

Currently with so many things "invisible / transparent", it is kind of hard when troubleshooting.

I do understand on the other hand, they are trying to make it easier for users.

Anyway, I check my 30 Days usage, this Server clocked 5.1GB in 21 Days since V8 Released ( Yet to need a reboot since I got it up) and a quick glance of my Daily Report, it clocked about 200 -350MB Daily.
  • Not sure why the volume of data is so large, but perhaps one option might be a selectable update frequency which would allow the customer with traffic constraints to trade off up-to-the-minute protection against traffic volume.
  • Hi alvin,

We have indeed resolved the country blocking issue in the 8.001 up2date, which is available now via ftp and will be pushed out sometime next week. See the 8.001 post in the up2date forum for more information on that fix. In short, country blocking should no longer block any astaro-essential services, allowing you to use it without affecting the box's operation itself.
  • Angelo, in this case I think they WANT to block essential services, until it can be determined why Astaro is downloading so much.

Also, fwiw, I've noticed in v7.504 that some anti-spam updates are being downloaded, even though I have mail security disabled.
    Sorry I don't have the evidence handy atm.

Barry