This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Astaro eating my bandwidth

Hi

I am sitting in South Africa where bandwidth is expensive, slow and limited.
I get 5GB a month, if that is finished I'm capped and have to buy more bandwidth.

In the last 30 days, Astaro blew 7.1GB of my precious bandwidth...
5.1GB went to ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com
2GB went to several mailshell.net servers.

Note: This is not traffic from my internal network, this is my Astaro box alone, wasting my bandwidth.

How do I stop mailshell and what is being done about the amazon thing (I know some other people is also experiencing this)

Thank is advance

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Not sure why the volume of data is so large, but perhaps one option might be a selectable update frequency which would allow the customer with traffic constraints to trade off up-to-the-minute protection against traffic volume.
  • Not sure why the volume of data is so large, but perhaps one option might be a selectable update frequency which would allow the customer with traffic constraints to trade off up-to-the-minute protection against traffic volume.
Children
    Of course, Astaro does already provide such a facility; I'd just forgotten it was there under Management -> Up2Date -> Configuration -> Pattern download/installation interval
  • Hi All,

Exactly 24 hours since I executed the Packet Filter to Block that server.

TOP 2 Rule
    ANY (Source and Service) -> ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com = DROP
    ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com -> ANY (Destination and Service) = DROP

1) I am still getting Avira and ClamAV Updates. Total of 8 updates over the last 24 hours based on Daily Report.
    2) Daily Report nows only shows 2.9MB Traffic to that server.
    3) So it does NOT Break Avira Updates.
    4) No other such HUGE Traffic thus it is not 100% True that those massive amount of traffic we see is 100% Avira Definitions and simply should live with it.
    5) We still do Not know what this is exactly all about and since we are all firewall professionals, we do need to know each and every traffic.