This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

5% upload speed on Sophos UTM

First off let me say I know this has been a frequent question posted here regarding slow upload speeds on the UTM.  I have been a UTM user for well over a decade probably closer to 15 years.  I may not be a Bob expert but I know my way around the software. 

I recently got an ATT symmetric 1GB fiber line and plugged it up to my UTM VM.  At first, performance was normal and expected.  I was getting close enough to max throughput with the understanding that I would be getting less because it was running in a VM on older hardware.  All fine.  Then one day, and I honestly don't know when, upload performance just took a nose dive.  I would get 3-5Mbps on uploads.  Sometimes spiking to 7%.  

I did all the normal things, turned off IDS, turned off web filtering, confirmed 1500 MTU on all NICs, you name it.  I have a small Ubiquiti FW as a backup and it was able to get full 1Gb from all my VM's and my physical boxes, so I know my internal network is fine and can handle it.  I even built not 1 but 2 brand new UTMs.  One I did a restore of a config and another I did unconfigured, no settings.  The performance of all these UTMs is the same 5Mbps upload.  Download speeds are fine and close to theoretical maximums.  I am at a complete loss.  I do NOT want to migrate my services to Ubiquiti.  I want to keep using the UTM. What else can I do?  there are no IDS or filtering logs to check since all of that is disabled.  Is this an ATT thing?  Is there some special setting I need to make on the ATT FW or UTM interface setting I need to make to get this to work?  It doesn't have to be perfect, but symmetrical upload is all I want.  

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • HI, welcome to participation in the UTM Community and thanks for the tip-o-the-hat!

I'm not a fan of the wireless routers that AT&T uses in homes.  My experience when I tried AT&T for a year in my lab at home was that their router kept losing its configuration.  I'd be interested in knowing if you're seeing that in today's equipment.

I do have two clients that I know of that use AT&T fiber.  In both cases, we had to disable 'Auto negotiation' and set fixed speeds and duplex for the UTM interface hardware and the interface on the Cisco router provided by AT&T.

Any luck with that?

Cheers - Bob
    PS  I'm about 200 miles straight north of you.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I've been off and on here before.  Mainly off and then when something happens I can't remember what Email address I used on the forums so I make a new one.  

I haven't messed with the settings of the ATT router much since I can get full  gig on another device plugged into it.  I may see about flopping cables and/or ports.  I thought I had done that but perhaps not.

• I've been off and on here before.  Mainly off and then when something happens I can't remember what Email address I used on the forums so I make a new one.  

I haven't messed with the settings of the ATT router much since I can get full  gig on another device plugged into it.  I may see about flopping cables and/or ports.  I thought I had done that but perhaps not.

Children
No Data