Android update seems to cause mail to stop working

Hello -

Asking the community to see if anyone else is having this issue too.  It seems like when some of our Android devices have an OS update, mail sync gets messed up and just doesn't sync anymore.  We have Exchange 2013, and still are on Mobile on-prem, running the latest version of Sophos Mobile.  I haven't dug into the logs too much yet.  Its not device specific either (as in we have it happening on Pixel / Galaxy devices).  For some of them, on the Exchange side there's a new device listed in the Active Sync list.  Other times there is not.

What we've been doing is wiping the work profile and re-enrolling the work profile on the phones.  We're getting 1 or 2 phones with this problem a week.

Thoughts?

Thanks!



Added tags
[edited by: GlennSen at 5:55 AM (GMT -8) on 27 Jan 2023]
Parents
  • Hi Moltron5k,

    Thanks for reaching out to the Sophos Community Forum. 

    When this occurs, do you know if applying a new Work Profile policy to the affected device resolves the issue? I'd suggest duplicating the current policy you have so that the settings remain the same. 

    Once the android system update occurs, are there any changes to the way the device is shown in the Devices list in Sophos Mobile? I was also able to find the following article, let me know if the steps mentioned here help.

    - Failed to resolve active sync id

    1. In the Sophos Mobile web console, edit one of the two devices assigned to that user.
    2. Tick the box for the device.
    3. Click Actions > Unassign user.
    4. Proceed with the changes.
    5. Perform email sync on the other device.
    6. Once the emails are received after the sync, assign the user to the other device.
    7. Save the changes.
    Kushal Lakhan
    Global Community Support Engineer
    Connect with Sophos Support, get alerted, and be informed.
    If a post solves your question, please use the "Verify Answer" button.
    The New Home of Sophos Support Videos!  Visit Sophos Techvids
Reply
  • Hi Moltron5k,

    Thanks for reaching out to the Sophos Community Forum. 

    When this occurs, do you know if applying a new Work Profile policy to the affected device resolves the issue? I'd suggest duplicating the current policy you have so that the settings remain the same. 

    Once the android system update occurs, are there any changes to the way the device is shown in the Devices list in Sophos Mobile? I was also able to find the following article, let me know if the steps mentioned here help.

    - Failed to resolve active sync id

    1. In the Sophos Mobile web console, edit one of the two devices assigned to that user.
    2. Tick the box for the device.
    3. Click Actions > Unassign user.
    4. Proceed with the changes.
    5. Perform email sync on the other device.
    6. Once the emails are received after the sync, assign the user to the other device.
    7. Save the changes.
    Kushal Lakhan
    Global Community Support Engineer
    Connect with Sophos Support, get alerted, and be informed.
    If a post solves your question, please use the "Verify Answer" button.
    The New Home of Sophos Support Videos!  Visit Sophos Techvids
Children
  • Thanks for the response, though I checked the logs and did not see that specific error in there.  We had someone else stop getting email, and I found that this person had turned off their mobile data on the phone.  Wifi was enabled, and working however it seemed like the mail app was trying to use mobile data instead.  Once that was turned on, mail started coming in to the phone. We'll be checking other Androids for this as they come in...