Firefox constant 25% cpu usage in SANDBOXIE

Sandboxie 5.31.6 x64 on Windows 10 1909, FF 70.0.1 x64, similar issues I have reported previously in windows 7 and windows 10 1809.  Firefox safemode does not fix this... resetting firefox does not fix this, deleting sandbox and starting with a default profile does not fix this. It always happens after loading a number of tabs at once, say 4-12 tabs of www.whatreallyhappened.com... that recreated it for me. Other times it just starts randomly. Setting Firefox Sandbox to 0 does not fix this. Running firefox outside of sandboxie fixes this.

Parents
  • For months I had this same issue with 25% or higher CPU rate. And yes, the same issue came up several times on this forum, even with earlier versions of both Sandboxie and Firefox. As Sophos, I don't have a solution as well. But I got a good workaround for I think most regular cases:

- Tweak and build your Firefox: including bookmarks, history, add-ons,  etc. always unsandboxed. Cleanup all unwanted cookies/trackers, etc

- ALL of Sandboxie must run with NO other software compatibility.

Firefox sandbox:

- Disable immediate Recovery in firefox Sandbox.

- Delete Invocation---->CHECKon Automatically delete contents of sandbox

- Leader Program Start AND Stop Firefox and check in Applications that Firefox will be forced. (has been automatically implemented when setting up Leader in most cases)

- set File Migration at least at 1700000 kB. (Besides 'the' CPU issue) It prevents CPU fluctuations/flips and it increases Firefox' stability.

- Restrictions--->Drop Rights from...CHECK on

- Restrictions--->Network Files...BLOCK network files

I'm running Sandboxie 5.33.6, but this workaround worked for 5.33.3 as well. Greets!

• !! I forgot one important thing, which increases Firefox' performance, decreases crashes and robusts leak protection:

Program Start--->Forced Folders-->force Mozilla Firefox ( "C:\Program Files" folder in most cases)

note: The tweaks I described above do increase performance of other browsers as well. Besides my favorite browser, Firefox, I noted better performance as well with Google Chrome and Brave browsers. The Forced Folders tweak is with these chromium based browsers even more important: They leak if you ONLY force the executable file. On the other side, they are more stable in the case you want to keep their sandboxed files. Greets!

• !! I forgot one important thing, which increases Firefox' performance, decreases crashes and robusts leak protection:

Program Start--->Forced Folders-->force Mozilla Firefox ( "C:\Program Files" folder in most cases)

note: The tweaks I described above do increase performance of other browsers as well. Besides my favorite browser, Firefox, I noted better performance as well with Google Chrome and Brave browsers. The Forced Folders tweak is with these chromium based browsers even more important: They leak if you ONLY force the executable file. On the other side, they are more stable in the case you want to keep their sandboxed files. Greets!

Children
No Data