This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Endpoint cannot install

I am attempting to install UTM 10 Endpoint security to a system that previously had Trend Micro Worry Free Business installed. Trend was uninstalled from the system via Programs and Features and no longer shows in the list of installed programs. When I run the Sophos Endpoint Security and Control Installer it refuses to proceed. The message "...cannot be installed while third-party security software is on this computer (etc)" is displayed.   

Running cCleaner on the registry did not 'fix' the problem. I had to search through the system registry looking for 'trendmicro' and manually delete all those keys. 

After that Sophos Endpoint installed fine. Is this the typical experience when replacing Trend WFB with Sophos Endpoint Security and Control?

~Thanks...

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • When installing Sophos endpoint software the Competitor Removal Tool (CRT) runs.  Therefore check the version of Trend is covered...

List of third-party security software removed by Sophos Endpoint Security and Control

However if you say Trend has been removed then chances are there is a key still in the registry (probably under the Uninstaller key) for Trend and this is stopping Sophos from installing.  Have a look in the avremove.log file (e.g., search for 'was found') as described in the following article (last section).

Sophos Competitor Removal Tool: significant files and information

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi David,

Running cCleaner on the registry did not 'fix' the problem.

I have never seen CCleaner fix registry problems, and stopped using it a long time ago.
    As a side note if you use it manly for cleaning system files, temp files ect. I would recommend cleanmgr.exe built into windows, it will remove windows.old directory after a windows 8.1 upgrade too.

I too would rather scan through the registry for the key causing the problem. Windows event viewer's Application log usually shows the registry key that is causing the problem with the installation.
  • Searching the registry for keys left over after uninstalling Trend Micro Worry-Free Business and deleting those keys allowed Sophos Endpoint to install across all my systems. In this case the search string I used was "worry-free". Problem solved.