This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Which Intel Core processor (Haswell) for 120+ Mbps with IPS and web filtering

I'm planning on replacing my current home UTM (Atom D2500CC) because it can't keep up with my internet connection (currently 120 Mbps awaiting upgrade to 150 Mbps down, 15 up).
I know I should go for at least an i3 processor, but maybe better an i5.

Looking at the current Haswell processors, I find a few T and S models which should be very low power (good for my electricity bill).

Are these good choices or is it better to choose a "normal" or a K version?

Processors I might be interested in:
i7-4770T, 45W TDP, 2.5GHz clock speed
i7-4770S, 65W TDP, 3.1GHz clock speed
i5-4570S, 65W TDP, 2.9GHz clock speed

Will the i7 (T) perform good enough for high-speed internet lines with IPS and web filtering enabled?
If not, how much difference would there be in performance between the i7-4770S and the i5-4570S? Clock speed only differs a little bit while the i5 is about €100 cheaper currently.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Don't use a T or S model. These don't use less power when being idle, only when on full load. The big disadvantage is that they have much lower maximum speed than the normal models.

Look for a model with a high clock speed, as IPS is (nearly) fully "MHz-dependent". Personally I would go for an i5 as you don't need the HyperThreading provided by an i7...

----------
    Sophos user, admin and reseller.
    Private Setup:

• XG: HPE DL20 Gen9 (Core i3-7300, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD) | XG 18.0 (Home License) with: Web Protection, Site-to-Site-VPN (IPSec, RED-Tunnel), Remote Access (SSL, HTML5)
    • UTM: 2 vCPUs, 2GB RAM, 50GB vHDD, 2 vNICs on vServer (KVM) | UTM 9.7 (Home License) with: Email Protection, Webserver Protection, RED-Tunnel (server)
  • Agreed.

My i5-4670 (Windows) system idles at 30-39watts, depending on a few settings, etc.

If you only have 1 or 2 users and not a lot of p2p traffic, etc., then the fastest i3 would probably be OK, if you don't want to spend the extra $70 for the i5.
    Otherwise get the 4670.

Good (Intel) NICs are critical at high speeds.

Barry
  • So, what you are saying is my utm using i3-3220t won't work very well on a 100mb/s second connection with IPS enabled?

i3-3220t dual core 2.8ghz (can hyper thread)
    or
    e3-1265l v2 2.5 - 3.5ghz quad core ( can hyper thread)

Ian
  • Hi Ian,

I've got a Celeron g1610t (2.30GHz dual-core, no HT) in my HP Gen8 Microserver, and I tested it and got about 70mbps (single-stream, port 80) through the IPS in 9.1.

Your i3 should be a bit faster; maybe 20% for single-stream, potentially higher for multi-stream.

Hopefully the IPS changes in 9.2 will help boost IPS performance as well.

Barry
  • BTW, in addition to HT, the i7's have more cache than the i5's.

I'm not sure at what speeds it'd be worth the extra $ though.
    The i5-4670 should handle multiple 100+ mbit streams.

Barry
  • I'm planning on replacing my current home UTM (Atom D2500CC) because it can't keep up with my internet connection (currently 120 Mbps awaiting upgrade to 150 Mbps down, 15 up).
    I know I should go for at least an i3 processor, but maybe better an i5.

Looking at the current Haswell processors, I find a few T and S models which should be very low power (good for my electricity bill).

Are these good choices or is it better to choose a "normal" or a K version?

Processors I might be interested in:
    i7-4770T, 45W TDP, 2.5GHz clock speed
    i7-4770S, 65W TDP, 3.1GHz clock speed
    i5-4570S, 65W TDP, 2.9GHz clock speed

Will the i7 (T) perform good enough for high-speed internet lines with IPS and web filtering enabled?
    If not, how much difference would there be in performance between the i7-4770S and the i5-4570S? Clock speed only differs a little bit while the i5 is about €100 cheaper currently.

you don't need anything "bigger" than an i-5 to be honest.  Unless you have more than 30 devices you don't even need an i-5.  A 3.4 ghz i-3 will be plenty.  GHZ and ram are king here.  Get the fastest i-3 you can find and throw in 8 gigs of ram to start.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Thanks, looks like i5 4670 (or a fast i3) is on the winning hand.
    I have been looking at the HP NC364T quad-port nic's which consists of Two Intel 82571EB controllers. This card isn't too expensive and has enough ports for me.

Now looking for a suitable mainboard, I read that the ASRock Z87E-ITX
     is a nice (low power consuming) board (but a little pricey). Are there better alternatives (z87 chipset seems a bit too much for just a UTM)?

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Thanks, looks like i5 4670 (or a fast i3) is on the winning hand.
    I have been looking at the HP NC364T quad-port nic's which consists of Two Intel 82571EB controllers. This card isn't too expensive and has enough ports for me.

Now looking for a suitable mainboard, I read that the ASRock Z87E-ITX
    is a nice (low power consuming) board (but a little pricey). Are there better alternatives (z87 chipset seems a bit too much for just a UTM)?

For your setup cache is nothing...go for the fastest GHz you can get if you are set on quad core...GHz and ram is all that matters for CPU...I would go with a quad Intel nic

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Hi,

Re motherboards:

I'm probably going to get the GIGABYTE GA-Z87N-WIFI board myself; it has one Intel gigE NIC, and a secondary Atheros gigE NIC.

The Atheros does NOT work in the UTM, but may soon (if Sophos adds the driver in the 9.2 beta; they might).

The GA-H87N-WIFI is slightly cheaper, with the same NICs.

If you want something cheaper, ASRock have an H87 board (ASRock H87M-ITX) with a junk Realtek NIC for under $100, which should be fine if you don't use the NIC.

Anyways, I'll probably get the Gigabyte z87, and stick in a spare NIC until the Atheros is supported, at which point I'll test the Atheros' performance.

The fastest i3 is the i3-4340 @ 3.6GHz ($159USD @Newegg).

I agree with William that it should be fine for home use, but I'm probably getting the i5-4670 as I may eventually re-use the hardware for an ESXi server. Newegg has the 4670 on sale for $200 right now.

Barry
  • BTW, the Intel 82571EB NICs are quite old (2005).

My current Atom firewall has onboard 82571's, and based on my testing, they seem to have a high interrupt load. 
    On my Atom, the CPU interrupt load under IPS stress testing is over 60%. 

I can't say for sure if a better NIC would make a difference on the Atom, nor do I know if it would be an issue on a faster CPU.

The 82571 NICs support interrupt coalescing, so I don't know if the driver on the UTM is not enabling it, or if it just doesn't help as much as I'd expected.

Anyways, if you can live with 3 NICs (or 4 if you can wait for the Atheros to be supported), you might consider getting a more modern, dual-port Intel NIC.
    Or use 2 NICs + VLANs like I do.

Barry