Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Which Intel Core processor (Haswell) for 120+ Mbps with IPS and web filtering

I'm planning on replacing my current home UTM (Atom D2500CC) because it can't keep up with my internet connection (currently 120 Mbps awaiting upgrade to 150 Mbps down, 15 up).
I know I should go for at least an i3 processor, but maybe better an i5.

Looking at the current Haswell processors, I find a few T and S models which should be very low power (good for my electricity bill).

Are these good choices or is it better to choose a "normal" or a K version?

Processors I might be interested in:
i7-4770T, 45W TDP, 2.5GHz clock speed
i7-4770S, 65W TDP, 3.1GHz clock speed
i5-4570S, 65W TDP, 2.9GHz clock speed

Will the i7 (T) perform good enough for high-speed internet lines with IPS and web filtering enabled?
If not, how much difference would there be in performance between the i7-4770S and the i5-4570S? Clock speed only differs a little bit while the i5 is about €100 cheaper currently.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • William, for dual-antivirus scanning + IPS, do you think the # of CPU cores matter, or is the i3 with hyperthreading "good enough"?

Barry
  • For me I'm also in doubt to put a Hyper-V host on it, so that would be + for i5. I believe the i3 is also "only" dual core not quad.
    I would rather choose a mainboard also with Intel NIC(s), it might be the difference between choosing a Quad intel NIC pci-e or a dual version. But then again, I currently have 4 physical ports and 5 VLAN's, so one port is already shared between 2 VLAN's.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• i3's are dual core + HT
    i5's are quad core, no HT
    i7's are quad + HT

at least for Haswell desktop chips.
    I know some laptop chips do not adhere to the above rules; my i7 laptop (older) has 2 cores + HT.

Barry
  • William, for dual-antivirus scanning + IPS, do you think the # of CPU cores matter, or is the i3 with hyperthreading "good enough"?

Barry

Well ips = ghz is king.  With the addition of a/v and proxying it depends.  For most home usage HT with DC is fine.  Case in point...for my setup here i have a vm with only two cores..now they have access to 3.4 ghz of goodness though.  Even with a/v on i can max out my 50 meg pipe easily.  Cpu load(not percentage) averages below 1.  

at my church we are approaching the winter basketball season....i'll have 250 on the free wifi and about 20 staff on it.  That vm is also "only" 2 cores with access to 3.8ghz of xeon goodness.  at full tilt my cpu load averages 1..spiking to 1.5.  Now this location only has a 16/5 connection it's just the sheer number of folks and their devices all doing tons of stuff at the same time..nothing bandwidth challenging but the packets per second gets up there..[:)]

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Oh, I forgot to mention, there is a board with 2 Intel NICs, but it is expensive:
    Jetway NF9J-Q87 

It's about $240USD on Amazon and LogicSupply.

Barry
  • About using less NIC's and more VLAN's. Does this add any negative performance? 

Right now I have my DMZ (with my NAS in it) on a physical NIC
    my Internal and Guest VLAN are on 1 physical NIC
    My Internet line uses a NIC and I have a NIC for second internet line using a wireless bridge connecting to a neighbour's router.

I specifically chose this so my NAS has a dedicated NIC on the UTM. I don't always use the Guest VLAN so in such a case it feels like I have max. possible speed between internal and my NAS.
    With "only" 3 nic's I would have to share one NIC for both internal and DMZ (or try to put the second internet connection on a VLAN with Internal and guest VLAN's using 1 physical NIC).

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• i'm not a fan of vlans.....i'll buy more nics if they can fit into the box rather than vlans.  My church host mahcine currently has 6 physical nics installed.  I can add 8 more via quad port nic pci-e cards if i need to.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• William, on your home connection, could you run 'top' while doing a speed test, and browsing a couple other sites at the same time?

I'm curious how the A/V CPU load compares to the IPS load.
    (I don't run the http proxy, so I haven't tested it.)

Thanks!
    Barry
  • Hi, with VLANs, yes, you're sharing a NIC so you're not going to get more than 1gps total throughput.

However, unless you create IPS exceptions, you're not going to get more than that even with multiple NICs.

I posted at the same time as you guys above, so make sure you see my mention of the Jetway board with dual Intel NICs.

Barry
  • I saw the Jetway board... With that I could create a system with 6 nic's and still use a mini-itx board [:)] 
    Now I have IPS totally off (only anti-portscanning is on) just because my current system would limit my speed even further.