This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Astaro eating my bandwidth

Hi

I am sitting in South Africa where bandwidth is expensive, slow and limited.
I get 5GB a month, if that is finished I'm capped and have to buy more bandwidth.

In the last 30 days, Astaro blew 7.1GB of my precious bandwidth...
5.1GB went to ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com
2GB went to several mailshell.net servers.

Note: This is not traffic from my internal network, this is my Astaro box alone, wasting my bandwidth.

How do I stop mailshell and what is being done about the amazon thing (I know some other people is also experiencing this)

Thank is advance

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Have you checked the Top clients view to see which machines are also involved on your LAN?
  • Yes, I did. Most of the connection are from the IP's assigned to me by my ISP on the uplink side. You can see them in the screenshot... all the ones starting with iburst

• I noticed something is wrong last night when I saw the activity lights on my modem went crazy, although ALL of my computers on the network where off (except the Astaro box, of course).
  • can it be the chat message system or the box checking for updates?
  • What chat messaging system?
    I hope it is not the box checking for updates, 7GB for checking updates seems a bit much.

The problem is clear... 
    My ASG is sending or receiving a crap load of nothing useful to amazonaws.com in Singapore and mailshell.net
  • Yes

I am not using mailshell directly, maybe Avast does on the 2 computers on my network that has AV installed. But they should stop sending and receiving from mailshell if the computers are off, shouldn't they?

As for AWS, nobody in my house on the network is using that, espesially when the computers on the network is off.

For the spam filter rules on my ASG... I have disabled Mail Security a while ago, but still the mailshell usage continues.

I may sound rude or impaciant here, but believe me, I am as calm as one can be after realising that a system which is supposed to protect him is wasting bandwidth faster than he can buy more.
  • Again...

I noticed something was wrong when I saw the activity light on my modem going crazy, while ALL the computers on my network where OFF.

The only computer running in my house was the one running ASG.

So... After investigating I found that the ASG box is the one happely WASTING my bandwidth and his two little buddies are mailshell and AWS.

• Hi,

1) I also noticed this server on my ASG V8 since installation.
    2) During that time, I could not confirm what it was as I was playing with "Cloud Antivirus" such as Panda Cloud Antivirus and Immunet.
    Thus I assume that is the traffic to and from the "cloud"
    3) Recently I removed all the cloud Antivirus and I still do see such huge traffic.
    4) I recall another post (yet to find it ) about someone discussing traffic to these amazonaws servers.
    5) Someone mentioned it seems Avira uses Amazonaws.
    6) While I can understand ASG needs to Download from Avira which may store it on the amazonaws. The Amount of Traffic does not make sense. 
    7) Do you think maybe the new Avira (or maybe ClamAV) is using some kind of "peer to peer " / Cloud Technology thus there is so much activities?

I would be Blocking the specific server to see what happens.

175.41.169.159 5.3 GB ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com

TOP 2 Rule
    ANY (Source and Service) -> ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com = DROP
    ec2-175-41-169-159.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com -> ANY (Destination and Service) = DROP.

If my above Rule is not done correctly or there is a better technique, do advice me.

Lets see what breaks to confirm what is this all about.
  • Hi Alvin

https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/27538

I have no problem with Avira or ClamAV updating itself, but 5.1GB in 30 days?
    That is not acceptable