This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Setting up an internal update server (permission issues)

Hi,

I am using Sophos Antivirus for Linux version 9. I am trying to setup an internal update server. I have not been able to find any documentation on doing this from Sophos. Right now I am running a simple test with two servers: A and B. A is setup to receive Sophos updates from Sophos through a web proxy, this works as expected. B is setup to receive updates from A, this is where I have problems. Based on what I can infer I believe the right thing to do is serve the /opt/sophos-av/update/cache/Primary directory out using apache. I run into permission errors doing this, if I change the ownership (recursively) on the /opt/sophos-av/update directory to apache:apache it works, but only until the update process on server A overwrites those permission changes. Does Sophos have a guide for setting this up that I have not seen? If not, what is the best way to handle this problem?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Jeffrey,

It is not possible to have a Linux Server as an update cache/message relay. 

You can set a Windows server up which can send the updates to other servers - including Linux. This can be managed via Sophos Central.

cheers

Mark 

• Hello Jeffrey Kopera,

are you talking about an unmanaged (neither SEC or Central) environment and referring to Chapter 4.1 of the Startup Guide? Please note that under item 8. in this chapter it says: Copy the local cache directory ... (emphasis mine). As you have found out the cache is owned (and accessible only) by root. More explicit is the Configuration Guide in chapter 13.4, item 3.a):
    Copy the local cache directory (/opt/sophos-av/update/cache/) to a different location on the filesystem.
    This can be automated using a script.

Can't say whether this feature is about to be withdrawn and its use undesirable. OTOH this recently updated How to mentions some obscure SUM: let's assume you use SUM.

Christian