I very recently upgraded the laptop given to me by my employer from Catalina to Big Sur. The next day I started having network connectivity issues. The network would appear connected in System Preferences but no traffic would occur. I rebooted my machine 3 times that day to clear the problem. I contacted my employer's help desk and they suggested resetting the SMC which I did several times but that made no difference. Finally, I noticed in Activity Monitor that when the network stopped working com.sophos.endpoint.networkextension was using 100% CPU or more. I then performed a kill -9 on that process and the network instantly came back to life. The problem is that sometimes the process will restart and go back to using 100% CPU and kill the network again while other times it may be OK for several hours. In any case I am finding I have to kill the process at least a half a dozen times a day.
I noticed that a similar problem was reported during the EAP period for 10.0.3 but supposedly it was fixed.
Is anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas as to what might cause it?
Same issue here. Big Sur 11.6, latest 10.1.4 version of endpoint using Sophos Central. Device is a Intel i9 16" macbook pro. High CPU, and killing the battery when not connected with a matter of 30mins - 1hr. Nothing else is running except standard OS processes and Sophos
Is it also preventing network access when this is happening? For me, I could consistently make this happen when visiting news sites - especially foxnews.com in Chrome. However, I have found that by using Safari for these sites the problem has all but disappeared. Note that this happens in the enterprise version of Sophos though my employer. I also have the home version on an almost identical MacBook Pro for personal use and have never seen this problem on that machine.
Not related to network extension here, mainly com.sophos.endpoint.scanextension
I have to amend the above. It continues to happen whether I use Safari or Chrome. However, it seems to be triggered by web sites with ads - at least that is my suspicion. It happens almost instantaneously with news web sites such as fox news or USA today, but it has also happened to me on Baeldung web pages.
Web sites with ads also seem to trigger this for me. Installing an ad-blocking expansion in my browser seemed to bypass the problem