Our staff spotlight is our blog series where we get up-close and personal with our amazing team members at Sophos.
Up next is Vivek Jagad, Team Lead, Global Support & Services.
Let's Talk Career
1. Can you tell us about your role at Sophos?
I am a Team Lead for the Global Support & Services. I manage the team of DACH FOCUS group of the Network Security Group.
I am primarily focused on the Network Security Group. I manage critical incidents and sales escalation. I provide technical answers & troubleshoot remote technical issues with Sophos XG/XGS, UTM, Sophos Central Email, Firewall Management, Wireless, Phish Threat, Cloud Native Security, ZTNA, etc. I also provide break-fix and consulting services for deployment and implementation.
I ensure customer needs are understood and met.
2. How did you get to the role you're in now?
I started as an L1 Technical Support Engineer (TSE) in March 2018, and after two years, in September 2020, I was promoted to L2. During my 18-month period of increasing customer handling skills & getting hands-on experience with the NSG (Network Security Group) products, I was given the opportunity to become a Technical Account Manager (TAM). I started my journey with the TAM Team in March 2022. After accumulating one year of experience in the TAM role, following that year in 2023, I got another opportunity to become a Team Leader.
It was a great fit for me due to my extensive knowledge of NSG Products and customer-centric mindset, and helping our engineers in DACH FOCUS Group. Consequently, I applied for the role and started my new career with Leadership Team in February 2023.
3. What inspired you to get into IT and security?
When I was in college, I discovered a series on Netflix called "Mr. Robot." It was my first exposure to the world of cybersecurity. As a result, I became avidly interested in pursuing a career in cybersecurity.
4. What do you enjoy most about your role?
Providing a solution to the problem. That gives me a sense of immediate happiness, which not only makes my day but also makes everyone else's, including the customer/partner and Sophos management, happy.
5. What's something you've done during your time in the organization that you're proud of?
Although I'm proud of most of the work I've done for Sophos, there are some things I learned and developed with my mentor Bhavin Bhalodia, one of which is OpenStack. One of my proudest moments here is going on a journey from being a mentee to becoming a mentor. With my Tech Gurus, it has been and continues to be a wonderful journey.
6. Describe a typical day in your Sophos life.
A typical day for me begins like this:
- Reading my e-mails,
- Staying current
- Practicing prioritization, and
- Creating a daily action plan
As someone passionate about their work, I jump in and provide my expertise and mentoring as soon as possible. I answer support engineers' questions, customer queries, Sophos Community questions, and handle escalated support cases proactively. I also develop and present training materials and presentations for new employees, the community, and partners.
7. What's the best advice you can give to someone who has just started their career?
Your work should be consistent, faith-filled, patient, perseverant, and dedicated. Never hesitate to ask questions or request things. A popular saying goes: "It always seems impossible until it's done."
8. What would you do (for a career) if you weren't doing this?
Become a YouTuber Please Subscribe to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AltairAras09
Role in the Sophos Community
9. What's a fun fact about you that you could share with the Community?
I am a versatile console enthusiast who has been an avid gamer for over 16 years. I also enjoy powerful gaming laptops and mobile consoles such as the Nintendo OLED. Aside from this, I enjoy gaming in my room with a powerful desktop on a 4K OLED Gaming TV. I also enjoy giving Alexa orders in my room, which entertains me with turning on lights, changing colors, fans, AC, TV, songs, movies, and so on.
10. Have you posted any Recommended Read guides on the Community?
Yes, check these out:
1) Sophos Firewall: SATC with Sophos Server Protection Step by Step Guide
2) Sophos XG Firewall v19: How to Choose the gateway for a firewall rule
It's been 4 months since I became active in the community, so a few more are in the pipeline for the future.
Who is Vivek?
11. What are your hobbies outside of work?
I love playing video games. Some of my favorites are - Assassin's Cree Game Series, GTA Series, COD- Series, Mafia Series, etc. Open-World Genre is my escape. I enjoy playing badminton & football as outdoor sports, going out with friends and family on adventure tours, trips, or sometimes casual lunch and dinner programs.
12. What’s something you’re planning on doing in the next year that you’ve never done?
Having just acquired my brand-new BMW GS 310, I am really looking forward to long bike adventure tours.
13. What's one thing you're really good at?
I am good at making friends and cooking ramen and pasta.
14. If you could learn how to do anything, what would it be?
My list is never-ending. From learning a new language to flying an airplane/helicopter; From learning how to survive in the wild to swimming in the deepest ocean in the world. There’s still so much more I would love to learn.
15. Tell us about where you live (and your journey getting there - if applicable).
I live in Ahmedabad, a large city in Gujarat's western region. Born and raised here, I am a native of this city. Sophos is in the center of the city, and I've had my eyes on it since I started preparing for a cybersecurity career.
16. What's your favorite thing about where you live?
Accessibility to food markets, street snacks, restaurants, international cuisines, sports grounds, highways, public transportation, and clothing bazaars. I love everything about my city.
17. Tell us something that might surprise us about you.
It may surprise you to learn that I played the violin while pursuing my bachelor's degree.
18. Any favorite line from a movie?
"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."
-The Godfather (1972)
19. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
As Godly as Lord Hanuman!