In our staff spotlights, we get up close and personal with our amazing Sophos team members.
Up next is Scott Munton, Senior Technical Account Manager.
Let's Talk Career
1. Can you tell us about your role at Sophos?
I am a Senior Technical Account Manager at Sophos. I’m responsible for the support experience of my assigned accounts (Enterprise Customers and Platinum Partners). Our team’s mission is to ensure each of our accounts has great support experience and that they obtain value from their purchased Sophos products and services.
2. How did you get to the role you're in now?
I started in the IT industry 17 years ago. I worked in varying roles - from Help Desk, Junior Administrator, and L1 Support. At Sophos, I started as an L1 Support Engineer in the NSG team. As an L1 engineer, I took pride in resolving support cases and sales escalations with high customer satisfaction. I was an L2 engineer before moving to my current role in the Technical Account Management team.
3. What inspired you to get into IT and security?
I had an interest in the internet and technology as a kid. I was always the family member who helped set up and fix technology. After learning networking and system administration during my post-secondary education, I knew this was the industry I wanted to work in.
4. What do you enjoy most about your role?
I enjoy building and maintaining relationships with my customers and helping them with their Support needs. I get great satisfaction helping our customers through difficult support issues or helping them with project planning.
5. What's something you've done during your time in the organization that you're proud of?
I’m proud to have mentored many Support Engineers. In my years at Sophos, I have worked with amazing people; being able to help guide them through their Support Experience and help them achieve their goals makes me very proud.
I’m also proud of the varying projects I’ve worked on at Sophos (e.g., SFOS Health Check Tool, Sophos Email SWAT, and NSG Telemetry Task Force).
6. Describe a typical day in your Sophos life.
A typical day in my work life includes:
- Running cadence meetings.
- Sharing the latest news/releases.
- Working on Support Cases.
- Answering questions/concerns for our customers and partners.
I also help the Support team with cases, escalations, or general questions.
7. What's the best advice you can give to someone who has just started their career?
Don’t be afraid to ask for help. The IT industry is constantly changing, and it can be hard to keep up with everything.
8. What would you do (for a career) if you weren't doing this?
A career in Finance.
Role in the Sophos Community
9. What's a fun fact about you that you could share with the Community?
I collect video game statues, Lego, special edition consoles, and controllers.
10. Have you posted any Recommended Read guides on the Community?
Unfortunately, I have not.
Who is Scott outside of Work?
11. What are your hobbies outside of work?
I enjoy playing video games (all the consoles), watching movies and TV shows, and playing golf.
I also enjoy watching sports and cheering for different sports teams: Go Canucks! Go Whitecaps! Go BC Lions! Go Seattle Seahawks! Go Manchester United!
12. What’s something you’re planning on doing in the next year that you’ve never done?
To travel Internationally with my wife and son.
13. What's one thing you're really good at?
I’m really good at packing (e.g., packing a car for a road trip) and also solving my friends and family’s tech problems.
14. If you could learn how to do anything, what would it be?
Fly an airplane.
15.Tell us about where you live (and your journey getting there - if applicable)?
I currently live in Surrey, BC, Canada. I’ve lived in the Greater Vancouver area my whole life. In 2021, my wife and I bought our current home, and we’re excited (and scared) to be homeowners.
16.What's your favorite thing about where you live?
I’m close to family, friends, and my local Sports teams. Looking at mountains everywhere I drive never gets old as well.
17. Any favorite line from a movie?
“Do or do not. There is no try”. – Star Wars.
18. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
The power to fly.