Our staff spotlight is our blog series where we get up-close and personal with our amazing team members at Sophos.
Up next is Mayur Makvana, Senior Technical Account manager.
Let's Talk Career
1. Can you tell us about your role at Sophos?
As a Senior Technical Account Manager, I’m responsible for the primary escalation points for all technical matters related to enhanced support customers and platinum partners in multiple regions, specifically in APAC.
I am a trusted advisor to Sophos end-users. This means I’m tasked to learn their environments, understand and champion their needs within Sophos, and provide them guidance on their Sophos solutions.
2. How did you get to the role you're in now?
I joined Sophos as a Technical Support Engineer in August 2010. Over time, I enhanced my technical skills, along with my customer-handling capabilities, which helped me work in various roles in the TAC. In 2020, I have been promoted to Senior Technical Account Manager.
3. What inspired you to get into IT and security?
I believe that inspiration always comes from the base of your nature. For me, during my early school days, IT and security have always fascinated me. Since then, I was quite inclined toward the problem-solving aspect of things.
4. What do you enjoy most about your role?
I genuinely enjoy guiding customers and partners toward the best security practices. I like helping them troubleshoot any complex situations they may run into.
5. What's something you've done during your time in the organization that you're proud of?
Sophos has taught me many things on a personal and professional front which helped me grow and evolve. As a way of giving back, I offer a helping hand to new hires because I know how hard it is to adjust to a new job. It brings me the utmost joy to see them performing well and achieving great heights in their career.
6. Describe a typical day in your Sophos life.
I usually start my day by checking my email to see if there are any critical cases that need to be attended to. Most of my time is spent researching complex issues and reading resources on Jira. On top of that, I am also active on the mentoring channel.
7. What's the best advice you can give to someone who has just started their career?
Never stop learning and maintain a healthy work-life balance. Be patient and humble; you'll ultimately reach new heights.
8. What would you do (for a career) if you weren't doing this?
I would have started a car rental business. By now, I would be the owner of 50+ cars.
Role in the Sophos Community
9. What's a fun fact about you that you could share with the Community?
I love reading ancient Indian history and exploring it.
10. Have you posted any Recommended Read guides on the Community?
They are in progress and will be published soon. Look out for those!
Who is Mayur?
11. What are your hobbies outside of work?
I enjoy traveling and meeting new people. I also have an interest in cooking.
12. What’s something you’re planning on doing in the next year that you’ve never done?
I am planning to do a solo road trip in the coastal area of Gujarat!
13. What's one thing you're really good at?
Being quiescent and being adaptive whatever the situation is.
14. If you could learn how to do anything, what would it be?
Practice mindfulness and learn how to skate, swim, and much more.
15. Tell us about where you live (and your journey getting there - if applicable).
The city is famous for its Gandhi Ashram, textile museum, street food, sports grounds, and much more!
16. What's your favorite thing about where you live?
I live in Ahmedabad, the largest city in Gujarat's western region of India. I was born and raised in Kalana, which is near Junagadh, the city of lions and famous for Gir forests.
17. Tell us something that might surprise us about you.
I wanted to join the Indian Air Force
18. Any favorite line from a movie?
“Memories are priceless. I like the way you exist.”
19. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
It would be time traveling! Living the old cheerful moments with people you have lost is the ultimate happiness.