3CX DLL-Sideloading attack: What you need to know
Our staff spotlight is our blog series where we get up-close and personal with our amazing team members at Sophos.
Up next is Kay Carlos, Global Community Support Engineer.
1. Can you tell us about your role at Sophos?I am a Global Community Support Engineer which is a part of the Digital Support team. With other Support Engineers, I moderate the Community forum and monitor our social media platforms including Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, and Spiceworks.
2. How did you get to the role you're in now? Five years ago, I was working as an L1 Support Engineer at Sophos when the position opened up for a Social Media & Online Community Support Engineer; I knew I had to apply. I was still new to Sophos at that time.
3. What inspired you to get into IT and security? When I was in high school I always did well in Info Tech classes but ended up majoring in Sociology at University. One time my mom had her palm read and they said that one of her kids would be successful in the computer field. I secretly convinced myself that it was referring to me as it sparked the curiosity I’ve always had for the field. . So, when the opportunity presented itself, I went back to school, this time for Network Security, and here I am.
4. What do you enjoy most about your role? I love how dynamic this role is. We’re still a fairly new team, so we have the chance to mold and define it while having fun as we go.
5. What's something you've done during your time in the organization that you're proud of? Since this is my first job in the security or IT field in general, what I lacked in experience, I tried to make up for in hard work. Very early on as an L1, I had one of the highest call volumes in our team and my manager told me he had another manager wanting me to jump ship to their team. Learning that other managers were taking note of my work ethic was truly inspiring.
6. Describe a typical day in your Sophos life. I start my day by checking Microsoft Teams or my inbox for actionable items. Then I open our different social media platforms and monitor them throughout the day. Finally, I act on marketing requests as they come and work on any side projects I have.
7. What's the best advice you can give to someone who has just started their career? Don’t be afraid to ask questions and make mistakes. It really is the most lasting way to learn.
8. What would you do (for a career) if you weren't doing this? My creative side would love to be a Luxury Event Planner or Designer. I love beautifying things, whether it’s the table setting for Christmas or decorating our home, it gets my creative juices flowing.
9. What's a fun fact about you that you could share with the Community? When watching the Lord of the Rings series for the first time on Netflix, I mistakenly watched the 3rd movie thinking I was watching part 2. *Sigh*
10. Have you posted any Recommended Read guides on the Community?Not yet but I have one in the works.
11. What are your hobbies outside of work?As a mom of two toddlers – it’s hard to find a lot of time outside of family time. So, any chance my husband and I get, we love to do staycations, relax, get massages and try out different restaurants.
12. What’s something you’re planning on doing in the next year that you’ve never done? I would love to do a wellness retreat. As my kids are getting older and a bit more independent, I’d love to reconnect with myself. It’s easy to lose your identity and sense of self in this crazy journey of parenthood.
13. What's one thing you're really good at? I have a knack for finding great deals and reselling. Look out for me on Marketplace lol.
14. If you could learn how to do anything, what would it be? I would love to learn photography and take beautiful photos.
15. Tell us about where you live (and your journey getting there - if applicable). I live in beautiful British Columbia (BC), Canada. My ethnicity is Filipino, but I was born in Saudi Arabia where my parents met while working abroad. They moved us to the Philippines during the Gulf War in 1991 and we immigrated to Canada as a family in 1995. My dad was contracted as an engineer for the Department of Defense in Saudi at the time and he essentially had to escape by telling them he had to go home to the Philippines due to a family emergency and met us in Canada and just never went back. He saw this as the only option at the time as they wouldn’t allow him to leave.
16. What's your favorite thing about where you live? I love BC because you’re surrounded by mountains, a lot of great parks and hiking trails, and the food scene is one of the best – so much diversity!
17. Tell us something that might surprise us about you. I’m one of the very, very rare few that haven’t watched Game of Thrones.
18. Any favorite line from a movie? “I can only show you the door, you're the one that has to walk through it" -Matrix.
19. If you had a superpower, what would it be? Mind control, definitely.