In our staff spotlights, we get up close and personal with our amazing Sophos team members.
Up next is Gladys Reyes, Global Community Support Engineer who is officially celebrating one year at Sophos.
1. Can you tell us about your role at Sophos? I am a Global Community Support Engineer. I assist customers and partners through our Sophos Community forum and social media platforms. Aside from being part of the Digital Support team, I also collaborate with other teams in Sophos. I work with the Professional Services and GES teams to produce new Recommended Read articles and with the Technical Support Engineers to seek assistance on complex issues to better help customers.
2. How did you get to the role you're in now? I started my career in the IT industry as a Support Engineer. And then, I worked with different Managed Service Providers for several years. When I saw an opportunity in Sophos to join the Global Community team, I quickly grabbed it. I joined the team in February 2022.
3. What inspired you to get into IT and security? Honestly, I originally wanted to take BS Accountancy. But when I was in college, I was under a scholarship program that was only offered to specific courses. Accountancy wasn’t on the list, but Information Technology was. Since it’s my second choice, I took it and eventually learned to love it.
Being in this industry wasn’t by choice, but by chance. I am glad it happened.
4. What do you enjoy most about your role? The collaboration. I love how my role allows me to explore different areas of the organization. It keeps me engaged and excited. 5. What's something you've done during your time in the organization that you're proud of? Every time that I'm able to help resolve an issue. Given that this is my first IT security job, I know I still have a lot to learn. So, resolving certain issues is always a proud moment for me. 6. Describe a typical day in your Sophos life. Interacting with our customers through our Community Forums and Social Media platforms, working on side projects like creating a Recommended Read article, and catching up with my colleagues during our free time. 7. What's the best advice you can give to someone who has just started their career? You don't need to have it all figured out. It feels great to be independent and to figure things out all on your own, but it also wouldn't hurt to ask for help and ask questions if you need to. 8. What would you do (for a career) if you weren't doing this? Thinking about my passion, I would probably be an Aesthetician. I am a huge skincare fanatic, and I also enjoy reading articles and watching informative videos about skin health.
9. What's a fun fact about you that you could share with the Community? I used to fear dogs. I guess it's because I often got bitten when I was a kid. But now, I'm a fur mom to 3 lovely fur babies! 10. Have you posted any Recommended Read guides on the Community? Not yet, but I have one in the works.
11. What are your hobbies outside of work? I'm a foodie, and I also love to cook. So, I'm either at home learning new recipes or outside trying different restaurants. From time to time, I also like to have some pampering time, so I go to the spa, and get massages.
12. What’s something you’re planning on doing in the next year that you’ve never done? I've traveled a lot within the Philippines, but I've never been outside of the country. So, this one's at the top of my list.
13. What's one thing you're really good at? I'm good at sleeping. I can sleep soundly even in a noisy environment.
14. If you could learn how to do anything, what would it be? I recently started to learn surfing. I'm still a beginner, but I really want to be good at it.
15. Tell us about where you live (and your journey getting there - if applicable). I was born and raised in the Philippines.
16. What's your favorite thing about where you live? The abundant beaches and mountains!
17. Tell us something that might surprise us about you. I'm a scaredy cat. I can never watch a horror movie alone.
18. Any favorite line from a movie? "Kinder than is necessary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed." - Wonder
19. If you had a superpower, what would it be? The power to heal.