This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

When ISP drops connection, so does my wireless connectivity

I am not sure where the disconnect is here with my wireless setup, but any time that my ISP drops connectivity (cable modem is still on but no connectivity, thanks Cox), my internal wireless connectivity does as well and does not return until I get ISP connectivity returned.  Wired clients stay connected to my internal network, but wireless APs are no longer accessible.

I don't have anything elaborate set up with wireless other than this new MESH network that doesn't work well at all (lot of errors in the log related to the new AP - separate post incoming on that).

APs are Sophos brand

Bridged to AP LAN

Standard security (WPA2 Personal)

What am I missing?  

Thanks.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Are the AP's somehow cloud controlled?  No cloud, no work?

What happens if you just unplug the ethernet cable from the modem, AP's still connected?

• So, I just physically unplugged my cable modem from UTM, and my wireless stayed up and I was able to browse my internal network.  Even tried to get online with a wireless device and it showed I had no internet connectivity.

But if the cable modem detects an ISP outage, it drops my wireless connectivity altogether.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• What happens if you turn off power to the modem?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I would think that would operate the same way as me unplugging the modem from the back of my UTM, but I will try that after the wife is done working.  I was going to do that after, but she needed connectivity again.  :)

• That's a crazy interaction between the isp going offline and utm.

Do you have another router you can put in between the modem and utm as a means of isolating the utm?

The expected behavior is isp goes offline but the rest of your lan and wirelesslan continue working.

• I think the other way around. When the cable modem is off, the UTM detects there's no WAN physically -- it's as if no cable is connected to that port. But if the modem's upstream goes down, the modem is still there and the UTM sees a wire in the port and tries to route through it.

So perhaps lookups (DNS comes to mind but doesn't make a lot of sense) hang, waiting for a reply that won't come. Maybe waiting a couple of minutes for a timeout, maybe even retrying for a certain number of timeouts.

(I'm an XG guy so don't know UTM, but in the XG world there's a Gateway check that pings something on the WAN and -- not always rapidly, under some circumstances -- takes the Gateway down if the pings fail enough. Could it be that UTM has a similar check and yours is pinging the modem rather than something at the far end?)

• I was thinking about DNS for some reason, but like you that didn't make any sense to me.  I have no forwarders in my UTM (just the box checked to use ISP forwarders).  Some versions back, UTM would put the IP address of my cable modem there as a forwarder, done at setup without me doing so.

The wireless has been doing this for some time, but I can't tell you exactly when, I just decided to figure out WTH is going on with my setup recently.

Both my internal LAN connection to the UTM and my APs are connected to the same core switch I have as well.

- No I don't have anything else to put in between them.

• If I turn off power to the modem and leave the ethernet plugged in, it leaves Wireless alone just as if I unplugged it from UTM.

While watching the wireless log as my connection came back, the only thing I saw that I had not seen before was something about a chainmask, but that was coming from the remote end of the MESH.

• If I turn off power to the modem and leave the ethernet plugged in, it leaves Wireless alone just as if I unplugged it from UTM.

While watching the wireless log as my connection came back, the only thing I saw that I had not seen before was something about a chainmask, but that was coming from the remote end of the MESH.

Children
No Data