This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

WAF on v9.3 for Exchange 2013 on single server/IP/FQDN/certificate?

Hello all,

Is it at all possible to set up WAF on v9.3 for Exchange 2013 OWA, Outlook Anywhere and ActiveSync on the same URL, on one server, a single IP address, and with the same certificate (with only one server name in it)?

I have tried to follow Sophos' official 9.2 pdf guide, as well as https://www.winsec.nl/2013/10/11/publishing-exchange-utm-web-application-firewall/ (taking note of the exceptions in step 5), but I still can't enable the OA virtual webserver.

"The virtual web server domain name 'External (Address):443:mail.domain.com' is already in use by the domain list attribute of the virtual webserver object 'Exchange Services'."

In https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/81/t/65746 one Sabine says that "one domain name can only be used once on the same interface and on the same port number. Otherwise the WAF can not distinguish which virtual webserver to use. That is the background of your error message." That seems logical enough, of course, but I was of the impression that with a clever combination of virtual servers, exceptions and site path routings this is indeed possible.

Is it? Or if not, what is needed? Multiple public IPs? Different URLs? An expensive certificate with several server names in it?

Thanks in advance.

SG 115, v9.309-3, Exchange 2013 CU7.

Regards,
Mr Olrich

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Ok, my set up and settings are as follows:

Preparations
    Registered two certificates for free at startssl.com; mail.domain.com and autodiscover.domain.com.
    Created public DNS A and MX records pointing to my single public IP.
    Created the host "labserver.internal.domain.com", with IP and DNS hostname specified.
    No firewall rules or NAT set up. Traffic is forwarded when everything below is enabled.

Virtual webserver "Exchange Autodiscover"
    Interface: External (Address)
    Type: Encrypted (HTTPA) & Redirect
    Port: 443
    Certificate: autodiscover.domain.com
    Domain: autodiscover.domain.com
    Real webserver: Exchange
    Firewall profile: Exchange Autodiscover
    Rewrite HTML: checked
    Rewrite cookies: checked
    Pass Host Header: checked

Virtual webserver "Exchange OWA+OA+AS"
    Certificate: mail.domain.com
    Domain: mail.domain.com
    Firewall profile: Exchange OWA+OA+AS

Real webserver "Exchange"
    Name: Exchange
    Host: labserver.internal.domain.com
    Type: Encrypted (HTTPS)
    HTTP keepalive: 300

Firewall profile "Exchange Autodiscover"
    Mode: Reject
    Static URL Hardening: /autodiscover and /Autodiscover
    Form Hardening: checked.
    Block clients with bad reputation: checked.

Firewall profile "Exchange OWA+OA+AS"
    Static URL Hardening: /owa, /OWA, /ecp, /ECP, /rpc, /RPC, /oab, /OAB, /microsoft-server-activesync, /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
    Antivirus: Dual scan, uploads and downloads.
    Block unscannable content: checked.

Exception "Exchange Autodiscover"
    Static URL Hardening: skipped (checked)
    XSS Attacks: skipped (checked)
    Virtual webserver: Exchange Autodiscover
    Web requests matching this path: /autodiscover/*, /Autodiscover/*

Exception "Exchange OWA+OA+AS"
    Virtual webserver: Exchange OWA+OA+AS
    Web requests matching this path:
    /owa/*, /OWA/*, /ecp/*, /ECP/*, /rpc/*, /RCP/*, /oab/*, /OAB/*, /microsoft-server-activesync*, /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync*

Default site path routes are unmodified.
    Secrets under the Advanced tab are unmodified.
    Reverse authentication: Nothing configured.

Setting up Outlook 2013 both on the LAN and outside through Autodiscover works flawlessly, as does a corporate account on a Cyanogenmod Android mobile.

Please note that I have no idea if these settings are the optimal ones for either security or performance, all I know is that they seem to work fine. Perhaps someone can provide input and comments on that?

Also note that several howtos here and there mention both "Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync" and "Exchange-Server-ActiveSync", but apparently "Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync" ones are correct (both capitalisations).

And to answer your question, Bob: I created two virtual servers, A records and certificates because every guide and howto afaik state that AutoDiscover needs a separate one. Sounds legit, so I simply haven't tested with just a single virtual server setup. But since the the firewall profiles and exceptions in my setup are not tuned for neither security or performance and therefore are pretty similar, I suppose it's possible to set up and get it to work with just a single server, though.

Thanks.
    MrOlrich
  • Ok, my set up and settings are as follows:

Preparations
    Registered two certificates for free at startssl.com; mail.domain.com and autodiscover.domain.com.
    Created public DNS A and MX records pointing to my single public IP.
    Created the host "labserver.internal.domain.com", with IP and DNS hostname specified.
    No firewall rules or NAT set up. Traffic is forwarded when everything below is enabled.

Virtual webserver "Exchange Autodiscover"
    Certificate: autodiscover.domain.com
    Domain: autodiscover.domain.com
    Firewall profile: Exchange Autodiscover

Virtual webserver "Exchange OWA+OA+AS"
    Certificate: mail.domain.com
    Domain: mail.domain.com
    Firewall profile: Exchange OWA+OA+AS

Real webserver "Exchange"
    Name: Exchange
    Host: labserver.internal.domain.com
    Type: Encrypted (HTTPS)
    HTTP keepalive: 300

Firewall profile "Exchange Autodiscover"
    Static URL Hardening: /autodiscover and /Autodiscover
    Form Hardening: checked.

Firewall profile "Exchange OWA+OA+AS"
    Static URL Hardening: /owa, /OWA, /ecp, /ECP, /rpc, /RPC, /oab, /OAB, /microsoft-server-activesync, /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
    Antivirus: Dual scan, uploads and downloads.
    Block unscannable content: checked.

Exception "Exchange Autodiscover"
    XSS Attacks: skipped (checked)
    Virtual webserver: Exchange Autodiscover
    Web requests matching this path: /autodiscover/*, /Autodiscover/*

Exception "Exchange OWA+OA+AS"
    Virtual webserver: Exchange OWA+OA+AS
    Web requests matching this path:
    /owa/*, /OWA/*, /ecp/*, /ECP/*, /rpc/*, /RCP/*, /oab/*, /OAB/*, /microsoft-server-activesync*, /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync*

Default site path routes are unmodified.
    Secrets under the Advanced tab are unmodified.
    Reverse authentication: Nothing configured.

Setting up Outlook 2013 both on the LAN and outside through Autodiscover works flawlessly, as does a corporate account on a Cyanogenmod Android mobile.

Please note that I have no idea if these settings are the optimal ones for either security or performance, all I know is that they seem to work fine. Perhaps someone can provide input and comments on that?

Also note that several howtos here and there mention both "Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync" and "Exchange-Server-ActiveSync", but apparently "Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync" ones are correct (both capitalisations).

And to answer your question, Bob: I created two virtual servers, A records and certificates because every guide and howto afaik state that AutoDiscover needs a separate one. Sounds legit, so I simply haven't tested with just a single virtual server setup. But since the the firewall profiles and exceptions in my setup are not tuned for neither security or performance and therefore are pretty similar, I suppose it's possible to set up and get it to work with just a single server, though.

Thanks.
    MrOlrich
Children
No Data