This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Remote Access SSL VPN slow connection speed

Hi Sophos users,

We are having a problem with very low connection speed using SSL VPN.
It appears the connection speed is limited to about 4 Mbit/s. I have tested with both FTP and Windows file transfers.

Our setup is:
ASG320 Firmware 9.203-3
Internet connection: 500/500 Mbit/s

SSL Settings:
Protocol: TCP
Port: 1112
Duplicate CN: Allowed
Encryption: DES
Authentication: SHA1
Key Size: 1024
Server certificate: Local X509 Cert
Key Lifetime: 28800
Compress: Enabled

CPU load is normally around 11-20%

I have tried all the advices of changing porttype to UDP, chosing a different port, compression or no compression, changing encryption from DES to AES 128 - no change at all.

My test setup is a 4G modem capable of 25/3 Mbit/s. Connected to this I have a laptop. I've been using the standard Sophos SSL VPN Client and also tried OpenVPN 2.3.4.

I've tried connecting the laptop through a RED 50 Device using the same 4G modem. This gives me the full 25 Mbit/s download speed from my internal network. Going back to VPN I am again limited to 3-4 Mbit/s.

I have also tried setting up PPTP - no change.

The problem has been around for long, but we blamed our 100/100 Mbit/s Internet connection - now we have 5 times the bandwidth and speeds havent increased a bit.

I hope someone here can help or suggest a next step for us to try.

Thank you

/Steffen

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, Steffen, and welcome to the User BB!

First, if you can use UDP and AES 128, then that's going to give you the best throughput.  If you're testing with a file that's already compressed, check 'Advanced' in the RED definition to see if you have selected compression there - I guess it is not, and that you don't want compression with the SSL VPN.

What happens if you try #1 in Rulz?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. 
    You are correct. On the RED Device Compression is not enabled.
    So far I have only tried UDP 443 DES No compression. I will try AES 128 when possible.(I have users online during most of the day)

IPS is disabled, nothing in the log. So is Application control.

FW log is showing no relevant information.
  • Not throughput related, but security:

[LIST=1]
    • Don't use DES, it's broken
    • Don't use SHA1, it's broken
    • Don't use key lenght of less than 2048, guess what... It's broken
    [/LIST]

And you should use UDP if possible.
  • Remember, if you change to AES 128, you will need to redistribute the configuration setups.  Either that or have folks edit their SSL VPN Config file to change "cipher DES-EDE3-CBC" to "cipher AES-128-CBC" - the file is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\Sophos SSL VPN Client\config\username@userdomain.com.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • You don't accidentally have a bandwith throttling rule in place do you?

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Bandwidth throttling rule? Where would I find that?
    Is it the QoS settings?
  • A little follow-up: I've been testing from a better home connection now, 30/30 Mbit/sec.
    This gives a 100% usage of the bandwidth available. SSL VPN generates so much overhead that the upload speed has a huge affect on the download speed.

/Steffen