This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SSH Sentinel to Netgear FVS318

Has anyone setup an IPSec connection between SSH Sentinel and a Netgear FVS318 router?  If so, could you please share your settings. 

Thanks..

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I have been working on a manual with detailed information on connecting Netgear's VPN client software to Netgear FVS318.  I have seen the sentinal software and it looks like it may be the same as the Netgear client.  The document fails to mention setting the preshared key but you will figure that out easily. I tried to post the document but it's size is beyond the limit if the forum.  If you want me to mail it to you send me an email with subject line "astaro" to michael@mancini.com
  • Try step by step to setup your network

1. Select the Sentinel Policy Editor() icon located on your task bar.Then click .
    2. Click the Key Management tab at the top of the SSH Sentinel Policy Editor window.
    3. Highlight My Keys and click the Add button to create a new Authentication Key.
    4. The New Authentication Keyscreen displays. Click the Create a Preshared Keybutton.Click Next.
    5. The Create a Preshared Key screen displays->Enter a Name for the key, a shared secret(a secret code), and then confirm the secret codeby retyping it. The shared secret needs to match what was entered for the RouteFinder.
    Example:Key Name = new preshared keyShared Secret = 1o2t3t4f ->Click Finish.
    6. This step will start with the Key Managementtab displayed.
    -> First, click theApplybutton at the bottom of the screen.
    ->Then click the Security Policytab.
    ->On the Security Policytab, double-click VPN Connection
    ->Click Add.
    7. On the Add VPN Connectionscreen, enter the Security Gateway information.
    ->Click the IP buttonat the end of the Gateway IP Address field, and enter the public(WAN) IP Address of the RouteFinder (Example: 204.26.122.103)
    ->Click the down arrow to move to the Authentication key field, and select the keyname created in the previous step.
    ->Check the box for Use Legacy Proposal.
    ->Then click the … button at the end of the Remote Network field to enter theRemote Network IP address and the Subnet Mask for the LAN side of the RouteFinder(example: 192.168.2.0 and 255.255.255.0)
    8. After clicking the button in the above dialog box, theNetwork Editor displays.
    ->Enter the Remote Network IP address and the Subnet mask for the LAN side of theRouteFinder (example: 192.168.2.0 and 255.255.255.0).
    ->Click OK.
    9. Now back at the Add VPN Connectionscreen->ClickOK.
    10. Now back at the Security Policytab under the Policy Editorscreen:
    ->Highlight the connection you just created (example: 204.26.122.103).
    ->Click the Propertiesbutton.
    11. The Connection Properties | General screen displays.
    ->Click the Settings button under IPSec / IKE proposal.
    ->Verify that the PFS Group is set to Group 2.
    12. Click theAdvancedtab.
    ->Check the box for Open on start-up.
    ->Click OK.
    ->Then click OKto close theRule Propertiesscreen.
    13. Now back at the Policy Editorscreen:
    ->Click the Applybutton.
    ->Double click VPN Connection.
    ->Highlight the connection you just created (example: 204.26.122.103).
    ->Click the Diagnosisbutton.
    14. Sentinel will probe for a connection to the RouteFinder and should be successful.
    15. Click the Details button. Details of the newly-created connection display.Verify the connection details information.Click Close.
    16. On thePolicy Editorscreen, click OK to close theSSH Sentinel window.
    17. Open a DOS command prompt window and attempt to PING the LAN located behind theRouteFinder. If the PING is successful, the configuration process to connect SSH Sentinelclient to a RouteFinder is complete. If PING fails, stop and restart the Sentinel Policy Manager.If it still fails, check cabling and software configuration at both locations.

IMPORTANT: The Sentinel Policy Manger may need to be stopped and started in order for you to successfully PING the remote LAN. Once you can PING the remote LAN, do not run the diagnostics test again; otherwise, you will have to stop and start the Policy Manager in order toonce again PING successfully.