Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DNAT and Firewall Rule Question

So I wanted to block some malicious IPs and I placed a block rule at the top of my firewall rule list.  Then I discovered to my surprise that the traffic wasn't being blocked.  This is because I am using DNAT with Automatic Firewall Rule checked.  Therefore, the traffic was being allowed before my block rule ever applied.

So upon perusing the forum, I see that there are two ways around this:

1) Add a blackhole NAT rule as the first DNAT
2) Stop using automatic firewall rules and add separate firewall rules for each NAT entry.

So my question is, are there any pros/cons to each approach?  I have about 40 DNAT rules setup, so that is a lot of firewall rules I'd have to add. But if that is a better way of doing things, I'll change it.  Any thoughts/advice?  Thanks.

Matt

P.S. Where does Country Blocking fall in w/r to DNAT?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • So how exactly do I make the black hole DNAT rule?

I created a Block Group of IPs and networks.  I set the traffic service to Any and the traffic dest. to Any.  I set NAT mode to DNAT.  I set destination to a dead end IP (10.9.9.9) and dest. service to Any.  When I try and save that, it says it cannot create a NAT rule mapping all services into one.  What's the best way to setup a black hole rule?

Thanks.

Matt