This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot browse web from lan

Simple setup, 2 nics.. Internal connected via DLink Router (not by Uplink, just plugged into regular port).

External Nic connected to Bellsouth DSL modem.

Can access web config and bring up external nic, but cannot get to any website.

I've been trying for days now and have spent many hours reading manuals etc..

I've:
Turned on Masq.
Entered bellsouth DNS servers in  DNS proxy
Created a rule to allow any Interal network to access external.

uppon viewing the packet filter logs I see that my lan pc is being blocked from accessing the bellsouth dns server. what am I doing wrong?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • >Created a rule to allow any Interal network to access external.

Must be Internal to Any.
  • I've tried this.. no luck.

what are the basic settings & rules needed for web access?
  • Rules activated ?

>Do I need to enter any special DNS rules or servers?

You only have to enter dns servers when you want to use special dns server (e.g. your provider dns server). By default asl uses the root dns server. If your are using asl as dns proxy then all settings (rules) for the proxy must be done in the proxy section. (/PROXY/DNS/Interface listen on -> internal interface and Allowed Network -> Internal lan)

>Do I need to use HTTP proxy?
    Your choice :-) If you are going to use asl as http proxy, same as above (Interface / Allowed network) and don't forget to set up your browser

>Do I need to define additional networks or groups?
    No, thats okay

>Do I need routing rules?
    You only need the default gateway on your external interface
  • rules active.. check

ok disabled DNS & HTTP proxy in an attempt to simplify..

Can you expand on where to specfy the default gateway for external?

For both nics, the default gateway is reported as "none" (under Network> interfaces), external is set to "assign from remote" and I receive an error if I change the internal default gateway from "None" .Error sais, cannot have more than one default gateway..

Should i have gateways for these? Do i specify this for external here or somewhere else?

• For both nics, the default gateway is reported as "none" (under Network> interfaces), external is set to "assign from remote" and I receive an error if I change the internal default gateway from "None" .Error sais, cannot have more than one default gateway..

Thats the reason. Your external interface has no default gateway and it seems that the remote server did not assign one to you.

Did you set up your external interface as pppoe ? Have a look at the pppoe log file menue /Local Logs/Browse/PPPoe...there you coould find some more information about your connection
  • do i give it a static one? if so, how do I know what it should be..

or should it be picking up one automatically?
  • > should it be picking up one automatically?

This should be preferred.
  • the dsl modem has advanced settings like IP pass-thru etc.. I'm not using them currently, should I be?

It's currently reset to factory. Its a westell wirespeed...

I'm just throwing these out there.. what do you suggest I do to obtain the gateway value?
  • Is your dsl modem acting as a router ? Did you set up your connection (user/password) on it ?
  • no.. credentials are in astaro... modem is "passive"
  • External Interface a pppoe interface ?
  • sorry for the delay'd response.. I was out of town.. i'm back now and got it to work..

I enabled IP-passthru on the dsl modem and pointed my IE to the firewall's ip as the proxy server.. 

I though that by setting the HTTP proxy to "Transparent" I would not need to enter any proxy config into the LAN PC's IE.. but it will not work without the proxy ip..  why?
  • sorry for the delay'd response.. I was out of town.. i'm back now and got it to work..

I enabled IP-passthru on the dsl modem and pointed my IE to the firewall's ip as the proxy server.. 

I though that by setting the HTTP proxy to "Transparent" I would not need to enter any proxy config into the LAN PC's IE.. but it will not work without the proxy ip..  why?
Children
No Data