This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DNS / DHCP Best Practices

Since upgrading to utm 9.1, I've encountered a couple of issues which I mentioned previously. They are the following:

Only ipv4 / ipv6 address is allowed per host. This creates a problem for hosts with more than one NIC, such as laptops which have wired and wireless connections. Is this a bug or a feature? I tend to think it's a bug, but I would like to hear from others about whether it is a bug or if there is a reason for the constraint. I tried defining a laptop host using the wired and wireless mac addresses, but it created an ip address conflict. What is the best way to work around this? Should there be two host entries for laptops? That means users with a lot of laptops will use up licenses at double the rate.

DHCPv6 looks at DUID, but not IAID. On Windows 7, both the wired and wireless NICs have the same DUID, but different IAIDs. This makes it impossible to use DHCPv6 to tell whether a NIC is wired or wireless. This is a bug. Any suggestions on how to work around it? One might suggest not using DHCPv6, but I like to set known addresses because that way I know which hosts are connected and how much bandwidth they are using.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I think you can use a Mac adresslist for each Client in the Network definations.

I See no Problem to Register One hostname with more IP Adresses. A DNS Server Makes round robin if more IP Adresses are associated to One hostname.
  • I think you can use a Mac adresslist for each Client in the Network definations.

I See no Problem to Register One hostname with more IP Adresses. A DNS Server Makes round robin if more IP Adresses are associated to One hostname.

Yes, a DNS server does, but UTM is not a full-fledged DNS server. This is why I suggested that the OP add his votes (two cents) to the feature discussion link I provided.

Sophos XG1 (SFOS 17.5.9 MR-9) on ProtectLi FW2B

Yes, a DNS server does, but UTM is not a full-fledged DNS server. This is why I suggested that the OP add his votes (two cents) to the feature discussion link I provided.

Sophos XG1 (SFOS 17.5.9 MR-9) on ProtectLi FW2B

Children
No Data