This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Webadmin access through ETH1 which needs to be added via command line

I'm setting up Sophos at home on an X7A modular computer made by Xi3.

The biggest issue I've run into is NIC compatibility with Sophos.

The onboard NIC is a Atheros 81 based ethernet adapter and during the install the 32bit hardware analysis finds it and lets me configure it.  However, the same 32bit install hardware check doesn't recognize two USB NICs smsc75xx (startech USB21000S2) that I have installed on the computer.

Funny thing, if I run through the install and select a 64bit version of sophos the install completes fine however, after the reboot sophos/linux doesn't recognize ETH0 anymore (which would have been the Atheros NIC).  If I check the network hardware from the command line (lshw), ETH0 is not listed but now the two USB NICs show up as ETH1 and ETH2. The problem is that Sophos' admin doesn't have them included in it's config and I can't access the webadmin because it was configured to work with ETH0 which is no longer recognized.

Question: Is there a way from the command line to add the two USB NICs to sophos along with an IP address so I can gain access to the webadmin and complete the configuration of the system?

I've read a lot of post and some talk about the CC command line which if I could figure it out I think it would work. I've just not found the syntax that will let me add a new ethernet adapter and configure it with an IP address.

I'd also not complain about finding a solution as to why the Atheros NIC works on 32bit Sophos but not 64bit. I'd also be fine with figuring out how to get the USB NICs to work on a 32bit Sophos install.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I think I figured it out.

With the two USB nics not having been recognized after the initial install I'm basically adding new network interface card (NIC) to the sophos system after the fact.

Linux recognizes that the NICs are there but sophos doesn't so I need to add the new hardware (ETH1 and ETH2) to the Interface.

(note: you can press TAB to autocomplete based off the first letter or two, so "i<TAB>" will autocomplete to "interface", "e<TAB>" will autocomplete to "ethernet".  <TAB> is also helpful because it will autocomplete the object names as well. Using <TAB><TAB> will show a list of the objects. )

From the command line type (pressing enter after each line):

cc

RAW

lock_override

OBJS

interface

ethernet

<TAB><TAB>       (this will show a list of the ethernet interface objects which are the Internal and External sophos interfaces. Both objects will likely begin with REF_ so pressing <TAB><TAB> will show the full object and you will need to type the next unique letter and then press <TAB> again to autocomplete. It is case sensitive.)

REF_DefaultInternal[Internal,interface,ethernet]

{the object will be shown along with it's parameters and values}

itfhw=<TAB><TAB>

{the new ETH1 and ETH2 "hardware" NIC card objects will be listed beginning with "REF_ItfEthEth"  (your objects will likely be named differently)}

itfhw=REF_ItfEthEth1<TAB>

{shows the full object for ETH1 and all I have to do is press <enter> to select it}

status=1

{the NIC was "down" and changing status=1 brings it UP to working order}

w

{w - writes the change and the object repaints with the nic card added to the Hardware param}

quit

The NIC should now be up and functioning and you can check by doing an ifconfig on the command line to see it has been added.

The IP address was already associated with the internal interface so I am now able to access the webadmin from a workstation and complete the configuration through the USB ethernet adapter. 

On a side note, the onboard Atheros NIC still does not show up under the 64bit Sophos but I now have two USB NICs working just fine for what I need at home.

For reference, to change the IP address and gateway of the interface it is done by modifying the itfparams object:

cc

RAW

lock_override

OBJS

itfparams

primary

<TAB><TAB>               (shows a list of the interface objects, likely the internal and external. I type REF_ItfPar<TAB> to select the internal interface object.)

REF_ItfParamsDefaultInternal[Internal,interface,ethernet]

{shows the internal interface params and values. }

address=10.1.1.1

default_gateway_address=10.1.1.1

w

quit