Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

9.0 hardware requirements for IPS

Hi Everyone

I would like to know what I would need hardware wise to have IPS, endpoint, webfiltering, Antivirus, Antispyware, and remote access enabled.

CPU
RAM
Hard Drive

I have a 5MB up and 100MB down and would like to be able to fully utilize that. 

I currently have it running on a P4 dual core 3.4ghz with 4BG memory and 80 gig drive and I am only getting 5MB up and 45MB down with all the above enabled. IPS seems to cause the biggest slowdown, as I get 85-95MB with it off.

thanks

MuVy

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • A P4 single core will not reach those 100MBit + as full UTM and IPS. Maybe a hyperthreaded or dualcored P4.
    I would suggest a core2 duo CPU with a huge Cache should be sufficient! any Quadcore or newer core i CPU will definately work for this. 4Gig Mem is never wrong ;o)

As you have a dualcore CPU, probably it's already sufficient to set the IPS (snort) instances from default one to two instances  (will use nearly another GB of memory, but with 4Gigs you're well equipped ;o)) With the P4 you probably will not reach the 100Mbps for a single stream, but you should at least be able to reach top speed with multiple streams.

enter as root on the console

cc set ips num_instances 2

(restarts IPS, will probably disconnect you...)

If it get worse, you can revert the setting by

cc set ips num_instances 0

/Sascha
  • A P4 single core will not reach those 100MBit + as full UTM and IPS. Maybe a hyperthreaded or dualcored P4.
    I would suggest a core2 duo CPU with a huge Cache should be sufficient! any Quadcore or newer core i CPU will definately work for this. 4Gig Mem is never wrong ;o)

As you have a dualcore CPU, probably it's already sufficient to set the IPS (snort) instances from default one to two instances  (will use nearly another GB of memory, but with 4Gigs you're well equipped ;o)) With the P4 you probably will not reach the 100Mbps for a single stream, but you should at least be able to reach top speed with multiple streams.

enter as root on the console

cc set ips num_instances 2

(restarts IPS, will probably disconnect you...)

If it get worse, you can revert the setting by

cc set ips num_instances 0

/Sascha
Children
No Data