This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

USB Stick Install Solved

I have been reading the forums here for awhile, and decided to figure it out.

Steps:
[LIST=1]

• Download and install 'Universal USB Installer' - Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
  • Download Astaro ASG v8 iso - ftp://ftp.astaro.de/Astaro_Security_Gateway/v8/software_appliance/iso/
  •  Open the Universal USB Installer,  for Step 1: Select the last option, 'Try Unlisted Linux ISO (New Syslinux)'
  •  For Step 2: Select the Astaro ISO
  •  For Step 3: Select your USB Key. I used a 512MB U3 Kingston
  •  Click 'Create', Eject the USB Key and Boot your soon-to-be Astaro Box
  •  Press  to Start the Installer 
  •  On the First Screen, hit Alt-F2.
  •  Follow this sequence:
    [LIST=1]
  •  bash-3.2# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
  •  bash-3.2# cd /install
  •  bash-3.2# mkdir install
  •  bash-3.2# cd install
  •  bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .
  •  Hit Alt-F1

[/LIST]

•  Finish the Installation, Reboot and Enjoy.

[/LIST]

Please post questions, experiences etc. This has worked for me, but it's my first experience with Astaro, so I thought I'd share in hopes others can benefit.

Cheers,
-fred

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Just tried this with the newest ISO and had to use /dev/sdb1 instead of /dev/sdb2.  However, the remainder of the install was flawless!  Thanks!
  • Great job Fred!

Just tried this method to re-install the latest ASG software on my old box that's heading to a friend this week.  Your instructions worked just as described.

As nicadmin noted, I also had to reference '/dev/sdb1'.  I just used the old trusty method of interrogating the dmesg to positively identify the USB device and appropriate partition.

bash-3.2# dmesg | grep sdb

To summarize, well I think it's fair to say you've saved many hours of user's time and effort in the future by documenting this easy-USB-install method.

In fact, last night I had already installed the lastest ASG on the very same box (but the box doesn't have an optical drive fitted); dig out CD-ROM drive, dig out IDE cable, dig out molex power supply, hook it all ap, wait and wait for spinning action to install ASG.  Well it's all a heck of a lot more hassle than the USB method I just used!

Perhaps these instructions could find their way into the knowledgebase?
  • Great job Fred!

Just tried this method to re-install the latest ASG software on my old box that's heading to a friend this week.  Your instructions worked just as described.

As nicadmin noted, I also had to reference '/dev/sdb1'.  I just used the old trusty method of interrogating the dmesg to positively identify the USB device and appropriate partition.

bash-3.2# dmesg | grep sdb

To summarize, well I think it's fair to say you've saved many hours of user's time and effort in the future by documenting this easy-USB-install method.

In fact, last night I had already installed the lastest ASG on the very same box (but the box doesn't have an optical drive fitted); dig out CD-ROM drive, dig out IDE cable, dig out molex power supply, hook it all ap, wait and wait for spinning action to install ASG.  Well it's all a heck of a lot more hassle than the USB method I just used!

Perhaps these instructions could find their way into the knowledgebase?
Children
No Data