This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ASL 4.016 and Award BIOS: IRQ problem

To whom it may concern:

After updating an ASL with the new 4.016 ISO image, my network was not running anymore.
Kernel log told something about IRQ problems with the NICs (3x3C905).
Everything was already disabled even Audio, COM, LPT, USB etc.
Hardware:
ASUS P4B533-E motherboard with AwardBIOS.

After searching around i found out the following:

There is a setting called "Interrupt Mode [APIC]".
 [ QUOTE ]
 The Advanced Programmable Interrup Controller (APIC) setting allows you to distribute interrupt routings other than the 16 IRQs.
The Programmable Interrup Controller (PIC) setting allows you to use the 16 IRQs only. 

[/ QUOTE ] 

Setting this switch to  PIC fixed the problem.
Everything went up and running !!

Regards,
Karsten  

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I found the same problem.  I tried to replace my firewall with an old box and did a fresh install of the 4.016 and import the 4.015 config.  The NICs modules loaded but the internet NIC wouldn't go online.  No BIOS setting I could find to fix it so I went back to the original box.  This is an old ISA card so is unsupported but has worked fine for a long time before.

I noticed one more thing but can't confirm it is a bug since I went back to 4.0.15 was that Lilo would not time out and start the box.  Just sat there waiting for a keyboard press.  Not good on a headless unit.

• [ QUOTE ]
    I noticed one more thing but can't confirm it is a bug since I went back to 4.0.15 was that Lilo would not time out and start the box.  Just sat there waiting for a keyboard press.  Not good on a headless unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long have you been waiting? I had the same issue, until I found out that it has a timeout of approx. 4 minutes until it autoboots, although I edited this parameter and set it to 10 seconds, it still takes 3-4 minutes.

If possible, can you please do this test on your side and confirm my findings?

Maurice