HA config - After trying to upgrade to the latest version I can no longer reach the web admin page

Sophos UTP PC Config:

The PCs (HP SFF 6200 pro i3 (2120) 3.3Ghz) that I have been using for Sophos UTM for years has a total of 6 Ethernet ports.

eth0: (Dell/Intel U3867 single port PCIe) is the HA Cluster connection between the two Sophos HA systems.

eth1, 2, 3, & 4: (Dell/Intel OYT674 Intel Pro/1000 VT QUAD port GB PCIe) is the internal/in-house connection and is used for the web admin page. They have link aggregation enabled.

eth5: (Onboard Gb NIC I believe this is also an Intel chipset) is the external WAN connection

Issue:

Last night I took the option to apply the latest update (I believe I was at 9.719 before and was upgrading to 9.720). 

While upgrading I noticed my internet was no longer working which is abnormal with the HA setup.

After waiting about an hour I shut down both systems and tried to bring up just the master.  

After the system booted I noticed there were not any lights on the Intel Ethernet quad port card.

I then brought up the standby (slave) system.  It showed 2 of the 4 lights on the quad-port Intel Ethernet card lit.

I tried shutting down both again and then bringing up just the slave to see if it would act as the master and the ports would come on.  That did not work.

I can log in from the console with root on both systems.  I noticed from the prompt they both have the same name (which I believe is normal) and one system's prompt starts with <M> and the other starts with <S>.

Running IP -a on the one whose prompt shows <M> shows a total of 8 ports 1: (loopback), 2: eth0, 3: eth1, 4: eth2, 5: eth3, 6: eth4, 7: eth5, and 8: (ifb0).  eth1,2,3 & 4n (quad port ethernet card) all show state DOWN.  None of the lights on the back of the HBA are lit.

IP -a on the one whose prompt shows <S> lists 5 ports. 1: (loopback), 2: eth0, 3:eth1, 4:eth2, and 5: (ifb0). eth1 and eth2 which are 2 of 4 ports on the quad-port card show status DOWN.  There are 2 lights on the 2 middle ports of this quad-port HBA.

I do not know why the system with <M> does not have any of the 4 ports lit.

I do not know why the system with <S> has 2 of the 4 ports lit.  I thought if it was in <S> mode, they would be all off.  I also do not understand why 2 of the 4 ports on this system are not listed in IP a.

Does anyone have any ideas on how fix this?  I'm trying to avoid having to do a total reload of Sophos.

Edited after learning IP a did show the quad port Ethernet card (so the drivers must be loading)
[edited by: Damon Dawson at 4:45 PM (GMT -7) on 16 Oct 2024]
Parents
  • Are you able to ping the webadmin interface IP? (Of course this may not be possible if you did not allow to ping the UTM in your config)

I´m sure you have to reassign the hardware nics to the UTM Interfaces. What do a ifconfig -a show?

Maybe you have to reassign an IP first with ifconfig and after that you can reassign the hardware nics in your config here:

CC or confd-client.plx [ENTER]

OBJS [ENTER]

interface [ENTER]

ethernet [ENTER]

regards

• Are you able to ping the webadmin interface IP? (Of course this may not be possible if you did not allow to ping the UTM in your config)

I´m sure you have to reassign the hardware nics to the UTM Interfaces. What do a ifconfig -a show?

Maybe you have to reassign an IP first with ifconfig and after that you can reassign the hardware nics in your config here:

CC or confd-client.plx [ENTER]

OBJS [ENTER]

interface [ENTER]

ethernet [ENTER]

regards

Children
No Data